Price of honey - search for the best deal (spreadsheet)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've been researching various online sources for honey and have compiled my numbers into a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnR6AuvL7CXvdDJMVkNzYVdTWkphZUdYdldBQkY2NXc&output=html

where available, i have included the cost of shipping (to Rockville, MD) so that you have a true "total price". shipping may be different to your location so your final price may be different.

if you know of additional online honey retailers that should be added, please reply with details and i'll add them.

enjoy, and go make some mead :ban:

This is awesome. I need to hit up my farmer's market to check pricing, but now this is a great way to quickly confirm if I should drive home and order or buy there. Thanks!

Are you going to be adding people as viewers for this doc so we can subscribe and see changes/updates?
the spreadsheet's access is set to "public on the web". unfortunately i don't know what "adding people as viewers" is, or how it's done. please educate me! would this mean that i need to manually add anyone who wants to be a viewer? eff that... is there no other way to subscribe for updates? at a minimum i'll update this thread when i update the doc, so you'll know that way since you're now sub'ed to this thread...

It's worth mentioning that you'd almost always be better off picking up bulk honey locally...here near Boston I got 60 lbs of raw wildflower for $135 ($2.25/lb) directly from the source. Check out www.honeylocator.com to find honey locally.

It's worth mentioning that you'd almost always be better off picking up bulk honey locally...here near Boston I got 60 lbs of raw wildflower for $135 ($2.25/lb) directly from the source. Check out www.honeylocator.com to find honey locally.
great point, i've included a link to the Honey Locator at the top of the spreadsheet. local can be a great deal, but sometimes not. two local beekeepers that i spoke to weren't interested in selling bulk quantities. they make more money by selling pretty little jars at saturday morning farmers markets (they probably don't produce enough to make bulk sales worthwhile). so YMMV.

http://www.ebay.com/

wow, i hadn't checked ebay... LOTS of raw honey available there. i've added a few sellers but can't claim to cover them all...

Isnt there a large group of Montgomery county beekeepers association or are you looking to find different varietals? WVMJ

Isnt there a large group of Montgomery county beekeepers association or are you looking to find different varietals? WVMJ
thanks for the heads-up! if ever i get around to learning how to keep bees, i now know who to turn to for classes.

based on the links on their website, these folks too are more interested in selling half-pound jars for higher prices, vs. the bulk quantities (and bulk prices) most meadmakers are looking for. i certainly don't blame them, i'd be looking to make the most $ from my hives too. unfortunately for me, in this area there are a lot of well-off people willing to pay top dollar for high-quality/local/organic/raw/etc produce. why sell to me for $3/pound when they can get $10/pound at the local farmer's market?

i sent them an email asking about bulk honey, i'll let y'all know if and how they reply.

Bee Folks is basically local to us, and they cost more than Dutch Gold, although they do have more varieties of honey available.

Or, attend one of their meetings and chat up about mead making, best case scenario you meet a friendly beek who has always wanted to make mead but didnt know how and you could teach them and they could teach you beekeeping. Then you would both have an educated palate for both honey and mead, a goodbeekper who sells honey usually also knows everyone and has their fingers on the honey flow pulse and can find anything through their networks. Even if you only have room for a couple hives at your house or could let someone put a couple of hives at your house it would be great. Did you notice the amount of locust trees and flowering trees in Rockville? WVMJ

Here in Austin TX the best I can do is hombrew shop buying 7lb or more at $4 a lb. No discount if I bought a pail.
So even with shipping dutch honey comes out to $2.78 a lb.

Funny I used to live in PA and was only 45min from lancaster.

Thanks for the links!

Here in Austin TX the best I can do is hombrew shop buying 7lb or more at $4 a lb. No discount if I bought a pail.
So even with shipping dutch honey comes out to $2.78 a lb.

the homebrew show honey might be of higher quality than dutch gold. if the homebrew shop is selling local, fresh, raw honey it might be worth spending the extra $1.22/pound to get the good stuff.

the homebrew show honey might be of higher quality than dutch gold. if the homebrew shop is selling local, fresh, raw honey it might be worth spending the extra $1.22/pound to get the good stuff.

Its general sourced (Texas, okay TX is fricking huge) clover honey and not raw. I wish it was.

Back