Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Post your blunder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
ExoticMeadMaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Post your blunder

So I thought it would be fun to create a thread to share bloopers or blunders we've experienced.

I'll start:

Happened to me today; I was doing some secondary rackings and had poured some sanitizing solution into the receiving carboy. Well then the phone rang, so I answered it, etc...... Well, when I got done with that I got back to my mead. Washed my hands, and got right back to racking. Racked about ~2 gallons(out of a 5 gallon batch) right onto about 1/2 gallon of sanitizing solution. Imma friggin genius!

A couple of years ago I was making a pomegranate melomel, when the bottom of my primary brew bucket cracked. Come to find out there was a defect from the manufacturer. I leaked about 1/2-3/4 gallon of this blood red sticky mess which defies physics and ends up in rooms no where near the scene of the crime.

does anyone else find themselves sitting, starring at their mead in process?

Atek Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Not much of a blooper but I will join in to help get things Rollin. I was making a Bochet the other day and I was a little careless and almost let the honey boil over. I quickly reduced heat and started stirring and a large bubble popes and splashed a nice size drop onto my pinky. It was like dropping napalm on me! Instantly boiled the skin and hurt like heck. After that for the following hour it was like dodging bullets from the matrics. Every large bubble that poped I had to move like Neo to keep from getting doused with more napalm. Next time..... Bigger pot and hasmat suit!

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm blunder? Uhhh I currently have a bochet that I put too much honey in so my OG was ~1.550

Not a "blunder", but definitely a pain.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhunter87 View Post
Hmm blunder? Uhhh I currently have a bochet that I put too much honey in so my OG was ~1.550

Not a "blunder", but definitely a pain.
Not sure how you figured that, but I believe pure honey isn't even that high.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I meant 1.155

My b

Either way, it's HUGE and my ec1118 is never gonna eat it all.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
GinKings
Recipes 

A few years ago, I made a 55 gallon barrel of mead with a couple of friends. My friend had recently heard how de-gassing can help a fermentation. After a day or two of fermentation, he decided to try de-gassing the barrel with his brand new wine whip chucked into his drill. He put the whip into the barrel and pulled the trigger on his drill and let it run on high speed. He swears that he could see the barrel shaking before he saw the mead geyser. Whether it shook or not, I don't know, but I do know that all that CO2 trying to get out a 2" hole caused a geyser that hit the ceiling. In a panic, he instinctively tried to cover the hole with his hands. That just made the mead spray sideways in every direction. In the end, the barrel lost a few gallons of mead and everything within 10' was soaked with the partially-fermented sticky honey mixture. He actually had to empty mead out of the flourescent light fixture on the ceiling!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Holy crap that's so awesome!!!!! How was the mead?!? And how much honey did you use?? I'd guess ~160lbs?!

What type of yeast? That's amazing!!

Also, how many bottles did it make?? Wow and it took days to bottle! Wtf wow

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Dicky
Recipes 

Sounds like the mentos effect. Haha.

I was once cleaning the dust off an old demijohn that i was given. It needed one hell of a scrub so I decided to let it soak in boiling water for a period to help soften up some of the harder to remove stuff. I returned to the demijohn a few minutes later and decided to wash most of it off...with the cold tap. Doh!

Ricky

Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
GinKings
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhunter87 View Post
Holy crap that's so awesome!!!!! How was the mead?!? And how much honey did you use?? I'd guess ~160lbs?!

What type of yeast? That's amazing!!

Also, how many bottles did it make?? Wow and it took days to bottle! Wtf wow
We've done it twice. Both times we used 3 buckets (180 lbs) of honey. After fermentation ended, we racked it into 3-15 gallon barrels and a couple carboys. One barrel got raspberries, another got cherries, etc, etc. That way, we each ended up with a few gallons of 4 different meads.

BTW - We used the no-heat method, so three of us were able to make 55 gallons of mead in about 2 1/2 hours.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How big was your starter? Gosh I'm amazed! Is the quality still good in such bulk containers? I kinda wanna know everything. I would LOVE to make 55gal!

Also, how did you mix the water and honey well enough? Did you warm the water and whip in the honey?

Quick Reply