The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Post you expiremens here. The good, the bad, and the do not do again.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
wabber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Post you expiremens here. The good, the bad, and the do not do again.

I am new to here and would like to see what people have been up to. So if you could post your recipes and if it came out well or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wabber you are asking people to summarize the hard work we have shared in the threads. Get busy with reading! LOL

But seriously, is there a particular type of mead you are seeking?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
wabber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No there is not a particular mead I am looking for. I just thought it might be a good idea to see what was out there and get ideas from that. I started a few different gallon batches back in december, so I thought I would see what is floating around out there so I might try some for my next batches.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am new also, Kinda looking for a strawberry mead? Or any fruits, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, Cherry. Any would be appreciated of course. Also a vanilla one

So far I have done Joes Quick Grape (2 batches), Apfelwein, and Joes Ancient Old Mead. Just search them on the forums. Shows recipe and all

Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Well, I did a Pineapple Lime Mint Mead. I get many requests to reproduce it. I don't think it turned out as good as it should have but it was unique.

I also have my Mojito Mead going: Lime Vanilla Mint.

I did a Hydromel that was a Lemon Lime. Now to me that was good but not as good as the sharp Lime Mead I did.

Matrix

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I currently have several flavours with very high ABV intended to be dessert meads, hibiscus, vanilla, orange cinnamon, pomagranite, strawberry and dark chocolate. These are only a couple months old, so tasting now will not give me any indication of what they'll be like in 2 years. Smell good though.

I also have a JAOM going as well and 5 gallons of raspberry melomel a week into fermentation.

Plans for many more experiments to come.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

I love my raspberry melomel & make at least 5 gallons each year, may up that to 10 this year. I have made chocolate mead, pumpkin chai, dandelion, hibiscus, elderflower, elderberry, garden chocolate mint, peach mango, mango, pear vanilla, prickly pear cactus, fig, raspberry galengal, cherry, cherry vanilla--and a variety of blends. I have yet to experience a failure with mead...maybe the JMAO was the closest but I turned it into a chocolate version and saved it! Branching out to some sparkling this year, starting off with a caramel apple mead.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
wabber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
I love my raspberry melomel & make at least 5 gallons each year, may up that to 10 this year. I have made chocolate mead, pumpkin chai, dandelion, hibiscus, elderflower, elderberry, garden chocolate mint, peach mango, mango, pear vanilla, prickly pear cactus, fig, raspberry galengal, cherry, cherry vanilla--and a variety of blends. I have yet to experience a failure with mead...maybe the JMAO was the closest but I turned it into a chocolate version and saved it! Branching out to some sparkling this year, starting off with a caramel apple mead.
when making a chocolate mead what do you use for the chocolate? i tried it once but soon realized that i f'd up and waisted precious honey. also i was thinking about make a jack fruit mead does anyone have anything to say about that? and if you don't mind do you think you could send me your recipes for your peach mango, mango, and hibiscus meads?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
ccostel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

I am enjoying my Maple Meade (not sure specific type). 2lbs each of quality maple syrup, honey and brown sugar (blasphemy) ( could just sub more honey and maple) with 2 gallons water. Used sweet Meade yeast. I did use a light toast oak spiral in the secondary, but would either not use it again or would go with a higher toast. The light toast gave it a saw dust taste for a long time.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The bad: i tried a Chardonnay yeast in a mead once. 6gal down the toilet.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Quick Reply