Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Possibly ancient, definitely orange mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
SouthernGorilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Orange pith and the spices couldn't possibly have anything to do with that ?........
Possibly. Hard to say. It looks rather clear. So I don't know what pith might be buoying the hydrometer.

I suppose it's also possible that the yeast pooped out at 18% and the OG was high enough to leave the FG at 1.040. But that seems unlikely.

I'll test it again this weekend. I'll check the pH too to see if that's a problem.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's been close enough to a month, so I went and bottled this. Of course that involved taking a taste. It should come as no surprise that it tastes a bit hot. But I was surprised to find almost no sign of the orange or spices. I think I've finally learned that there's no point adding any flavor components to the primary. Nothing seems to survive the fermentation. I put a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice in this batch and can't even tell. There was a sliced orange soaking in it for a month and it barely shows in the flavor. From now on I'm only going to add nutrients to the primary. All the flavors will be in the secondary.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts

As the alcohol mellows, you will often find some honey character is recovered/returning along with some of the spice and fruit notes.

Nothing is quick with mead making, despite what many have tried. The best you can do is to understand what faults it might show at certain points and try to either negate them or mask them in some way.

Also think about the method/technique and what you want from the brew, then you'll have some idea of whether you want a full fermented sort of taste or some or a lot of fruit flavour.......I like the later in my brews with fruit........

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Also think about the method/technique and what you want from the brew, then you'll have some idea of whether you want a full fermented sort of taste or some or a lot of fruit flavour.......I like the later in my brews with fruit........
Isn't the flavor the whole point of adding fruit and spices? Myself, I'm no fan of subtlety in my drinks. Seems a waste of time and money to buy fruit to add to a drink just to get "hints" of flavor in the final product. Of course, I don't want this to taste like orange juice. But I do want the orange to be noticeable.

I put the bottles in the fridge. That's standard procedure for me. I'll see if I can make them last long enough to mellow out and develop the flavors. It's hard to age my meads when I only get about 2.5 quarts out of a gallon batch. Cold conditioning does seem to speed the aging process though.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think 'bloke's point is: do you want the flavor of fermented fruit, or just the flavor of fruit in your mead? Because they do taste different. The former you'd add fruit in the primary. The latter you'd do it in secondary.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah. I hadn't considered that point. But, yeah, when I put orange in a drink I want to taste orange, not fermented orange. So I am definitely going to start adding my flavors in the secondary.

Quick Reply