Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > plannning my first mead and had a few ideas and looking for opinions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
KyleWolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default plannning my first mead and had a few ideas and looking for opinions.

Hey everyone.

So I do quite a bit of beer and some cider, but I haven't gotten around to mead yet. I will have quite a bit of Orange Blossom Honey on my hands soon and I want to utilize it. I use orange blossom honey in a few of my beers and it normally works pretty well in moderation but too much can really get a kinda dry almost plastic taste so I didnt know if orange blossom is the best honey to use for this kind of stuff (I a saw a few recipes for orange blossom meads but not many).

Second, I thought about caramelizing a few pounds of the honey to give it a really nice color and a few toasty notes.

Thirdly, (I would most likely do ONE of these, not both) I thought about a cup of spiced rum with a healthy dose of vanilla beans, OR sprinkle in some hibiscus (very different finished products but both sound nice).

and finally, I know most use either mead or champagne yeast, but the thought crossed my mind of using a belgian ale strain and then finishing with champagne yeast since the ale strain most likely would attenuate.

I would love to hear your thoughts on either the concept or techniques (I have never caramelized honey and have a feeling it can get messy/sticky/dark/burnt/screw-up in a hurry).

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply