Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > pectin haze and cough syrup in a cherry mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
blue800
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default pectin haze and cough syrup in a cherry mead

So I'm about 2 1/2 months in on my first mead which turned out to be a cherry melomel. When it was time to add the fruit, I pitted/stemmed all the cherries and froze them, then added directly to the fermenting mead. I planned on adding pectic enzyme, but the brewshop was out "and I don't know when I will get it again."

I'm of the understanding that you have to heat the fruit to extract the pectin, so should I have added the enzyme or will my mead be cloudy for ever?

Second question is this. I used sweet cherries because they were really cheap when I needed them, but the last time I tasted the mead it was awful...like cough syrup. Is there any way to fix this...add some other flavors....let it dry out completely....?

Thanks in advance,
Eric J.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

You can still add a little pectic enzyme, though in all likelihood it will clear on its own. As for the taste, tart cherries are the way to go. You can try adding some acid blend to balance the sweetness but be careful when you make the additions.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Torg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can live with it, or if you want to wait, pectin usually will clear out in about 3 months. There is pectin in the fruit naturally. If you heat the pectin with sugar (as in making a wort) it will turn the pectin into jelly (this is actually how you make jelly). You most certainly do not want jelly globs in your mead.

That being said as long as you did not heat the juice to boiling. I would say more like 150F, but this is the reason you do not boil honey or juice.

You can add it after you brew as well. It takes about 1 tsp per 5 gallon batch. It is best to add it while fermentation is still going on as the fermentation will move the liquid, helping the enzyme eat away the pectin. Some people think it has a bad or off taste so I generally do not use it.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a pear nectar wine that I made from the juice & sugar left from canning pear preserves, so it had been boiled with the fruit. I didn't add pectic enzyme until after the primary, but it cleared it on up anyway and it's nice & clear now. Oh, and going into secondary it tasted remarkably like Nyquil. I added some acid blend and also blended it with some apfelwein. After a few months in secondary it's starting to taste like a wine and not a cold remedy. The upshot is, add a little bit of acid and a large amount of time.

Quick Reply