The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pectic Enzyme in Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pectic Enzyme in Secondary

Im turning out a 5gal batch of traditional which will be finally racked into the seconday. To this I will be adding 5 pounds of blueberries for just a few days. Is it prudent to add Pectic Enzyme at this stage?

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 1682

I'd use pectic enzyme with that fruit, but I'd also freeze, thaw, refreeze & rethaw those berries. It helps in juice & flavour extraction, it also helps the enzyme to break down the cell walls. I think I'd leave it on the fruit much longer than just a few days though, more like a month, but that's just me. You might consider sulfiting at this point, both to sanitize the fruit and to protect your mead from oxidation. Regards, GF.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
I'd use pectic enzyme with that fruit, but I'd also freeze, thaw, refreeze & rethaw those berries. It helps in juice & flavour extraction, it also helps the enzyme to break down the cell walls. I think I'd leave it on the fruit much longer than just a few days though, more like a month, but that's just me. You might consider sulfiting at this point, both to sanitize the fruit and to protect your mead from oxidation. Regards, GF.
Thanks! I will go ahead and use the pectic then. The reason I only leave it on the fruit for like 4 days. The last time I did this I checked it at 4 days out and it was perfect! A nice berry flavor with a sweet =honey finish and a wonderful color. I bottled it and it was like the most requested mead ive made so far! Im thinking had I left it on the fruit for any longer it would have been way to heavy and syrupy for me...I like just a nice light flavoring to the mead....it was really nice.

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 1682

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You got that right brother!....

Quick Reply