Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pear melomel possible infection - log

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

You'll do a few things. You'll cook off some flavors when you pasteurize, You'll kill the yeast in there, You might be able to kill the bugs that way, but you need to be sure everything is super sanitized.

I still think you should let it ride, or even add more dregs from your favorite sours.

I'm wondering now, did your pears maybe have some wax on them that's broken up and is floating on the surface?

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I don't think so, the pears I had were leftovers directly from the orchard. I probably should let it ride... that will be very interesting.. I've never heard of a sour mead... specially one at 15+% (based on calcs have not yet taken a reading to confirm).

Took another whiff today and it definitely is developing a sour note to it, oddly pleasant though. My hope is renewed....

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Atek
Recipes 

Took a gravity reading the other day and tasted it, Gravity is at 1.054, down from 1.150, so its still VERY sweet. I pitched some EC-1118 in case the RC212 is crapping out already and some nutrient. I did not aerate as its too late in the game. On the plus side the taste was not of infected brew, had some funk to it but most of that seemed like suspended yeast. The infection does not appear to be getting worse, if it is it is extremely slow now. I'm waiting to clear a glass carboy before racking, I have some better bottles but I LOATHE the idea of putting potential bacterial infection in plastic... My brain just says don't do it. There is quite a lot of sediment I need to get get the mead off. Still hopeful this may turn out after all.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

If it's still fermenting, no real concern in racking yet. I also say to keep it in glass in case it is an infection (much easier to sanitize).

It takes months and months for any real infection (especially an wild uncultured one) to effect the flavor.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
Atek
Recipes 

Just an update, this us just about crystal clear now. No funk on top any more. Stopped at 13.5% but is still at 1.050 gravity so it is indeed sweet but it works with the pear and is delicious.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Atek
Recipes 

Bottled this just the other day and its quite good, no signs of any continuing funk, it may indeed have simply been waxy particulates from the pears themselves and not an infection.

wp_20140109_12_28_58_pro__highres.jpg  

Old 01-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Pasturize with the lid on or why not put in beer bottles and pasturize like that. You have to taste it, dont be scared. WVMJ

Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Atek
Recipes 

Just an update to this for anyone interested and an affirmation to those who might be concerned about their own. This turned out to be amazing. It is quite sopping sweet, but I bottled in desert wine bottles and its just the perfect desert wine. Very similar to an ice wine, but closer to a botrytis reisling. Amazing... Anyone else have much experience with RC212 yeasts?

Quick Reply