Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pear melomel possible infection - log

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Just starting this to log some funk goin on with my pear melomel. Have not yet tasted this and it is about 1 month into ferment, was a very high og brew. Some of the pears that were pressed were a bit bruised and soft to the core so I am kind of expecting an infection. Everything was sulfited prior to ferment. I plan to take a gravity reading here soon and if it's low enough ill rack and stabilize with a bit heavy on the campden. If anyone has any input it's more than welcome :-)

Edit: it smells fine so far :-)

image-4228443550.jpg   image-1111204711.jpg  

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Not sure what the second photo is of. The first one however does look like yeast gunk + some starting of an infection. We are now buddies (although I infected mine on purpose).

Either way, I'd let it sit a few months before making any executive decisions on if its infected or not, and once you do, your executive decision should be to let it ride

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Weird..... My pear wine got infected this year also.

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Atek
Recipes 

Alright so I've cold crashed it so far... Still waiting for more stuff to settle. There is a film developing on top if the brew. Pretty sure I've seen this before in a cider. Was a lacto infection. I was hoping more for an acetobacter infection as I could control that. I still plan on racking this from under the film though it's been jostled enough it's mixed in there... I'll hit it with 250ppm sulfite and then sorbets. Remove all headspace and see what happens. If it's lacto though I'm not too hopeful...

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Atek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue
Not sure what the second photo is of. The first one however does look like yeast gunk + some starting of an infection. We are now buddies (although I infected mine on purpose). Either way, I'd let it sit a few months before making any executive decisions on if its infected or not, and once you do, your executive decision should be to let it ride
What did you infect yours with?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Atek
Recipes 

Another thought... Well two actually... I've considered making a uv sterilizer that attaches to the racking hose. Use a clamp to slow down the flow and run the sterilizer while racking. I know special uv bulbs would be needed and are kind of expensive but it sounds like a product that could be quite useful... Secondly and easier would be to stop fermentation as planned and filter until clear. ( I have a buan vino) after that separate into 1gal jugs and pasteurize.. Thoughts? Procedural changes to bottle pasteurizing for 1 gal jugs?

Edit* scratch the uv thought, brain is not working this morning... Forgot about skunking for some reason. Still might be useful to uv sterilize the entire must before pitching?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
What did you infect yours with?
Wyeast Lambic Blend, which contains a Belgian Ale strain, Brett, peddo, and lacto. Later I pitched dregs of Boulevards 2013 Saison Brett.

It's going to be 6 months old soon!

Edit: Skunking is hops related, Not sure about light struck though (it appears to be a white wine issue, but meads are different so who knows)

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Atek
Recipes 

http://youtu.be/hjXg_PX0u9Q
Here is a quick vid of the film on top. I did use rc212 this time, never used it before. It has a bit of a vegetal smell, not far from old pear smell... Lol. Not terribly unpleasant... Yet

Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
Atek
Recipes 

So in doing some more research I am definitely thinking this is either lactobacillus or possibly brett... I'll have to taste it when I can but am considering dry hopping.... Now to research what hops are used with sour/lambic fruit beers...

Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Atek
Recipes 

Alright, thoughts on placing in 1 gallon jugs and pasteurizing? So far that is the only sure way I can determine to kill the bugs that are in there... Any one know if the common affects this may have on a wine?

Quick Reply