Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Peanut Butter Honey Sandwiches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Luci...You got some splanen to do!

Please describe your process.
You can go read it in the thread I did about PB Oatmeal Stout but basically I bought PB the the oil seperates in the jar like Smuckers and drained it off and then put the PB onto paper towels to allow the oil to soak out. What your left with is more like playdough fairly dry.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I would imagine using organic pb would make deoiling easier, seeing as it lacks the chemicals that emulsifies the fat and peanut butter. Right off the shelf most of the oil is already separated.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #13
Crisco87
Recipes 

Or you could get some organic peanut butter. In that case the oil is typically floating on the top of the actual peanut butter so you can just pour that out. Let me know how this works. Sounds good to me.
--Edit--dang...I didn't see Tusch's response. Well in that case...I second it!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #14
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I was so thrown by your post crisco haha, I was like wait, didn't I already post that same response in a thread recently? I didn't even realize it was this thread at first.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #15
Crisco87
Recipes 

lol. Sorry about that. I hit post reply before I realized there was a second page. Then when I hit page 2 I was telling myself, 'please don't tell me someone posted this reply already.' Sure enough...there was Tusch. :-)

Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
I would imagine using organic pb would make deoiling easier, seeing as it lacks the chemicals that emulsifies the fat and peanut butter. Right off the shelf most of the oil is already separated.

Thats maybe 1/2 the oil in the PB. You would still need to deoil it further in some way.

I also found that even after doing all that there was still some oil on top of the beer at the end of fermentation. When I transferred to the secondary I left about a 1/2" layer of beer so that oil would be left behind.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
BigStone777
Recipes 

Sounds good to me... I think I'll try this as soon as i have room...

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Why not just rack onto uncooked peanuts chopped a little, then rack again after a month leaving the chopped peanuts behind? I wouldn't use Peanut butter. They add oil to it. Just crush up some peanuts, uncooked might work better.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #19
BigStone777
Recipes 

Uncooked peanuts have a totally different flavor. Cooked, chopped peanuts taste right, but they are so dense that I'm not sure much flavor would come out of them. The goal isn't to just use up some peanuts in any form, but rather to get the flavor of the final product to taste similar to peanut butter honey sandwiches.
I would imagine either way i will have to back sweeten with additional honey. I think using peanut butter would be best, and if its got some oil, then i could be careful to leave it behind at racking (oil floats in water/ alcohol).

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Ah, yes my mistake, for unroasted. Might be best to get some uncooked peanuts then dry roast them with out oil and then Reduce it to powder using a coffee grinder or morter. You wouldn't have to deal with the extra oil. But for ease of sake, just strait organic peanutbutter might work. The reason I would go organic is to avoid preservatives that could affect fermentation. I remember that once I saw how they made peanut butter, they add oil to it so that the nuts and sugar are suspended properly. Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out well.

Quick Reply