Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Orange Blossom - yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
EndlessPurple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

D47 is one I will be avoiding. I can't get consistent temps in my fermenting area below the mid 60s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
centworthy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
Both D47 and 71B carry caveats worthy of mention.

D47 should be fermented below 70F as it's been found to produce fusels in honey musts when fermented above that....

71B produces a nice(r) tasting young mead but if its left on the lees its been found that it can give autolysis type off flavours - the suggested maximum time that seems ok is about 2 months after the completion of the ferment. Now that seems to be a guesstimate but people from various forums indicate that time span as being ok.....
Hmmm, I'm about to do a hibiscus mead and wanted it to be sweeter and was going to use D47. any other suggestions that would be better for a sweeter mead or so D47 still the way to go?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Lalvins 1122?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Look into yeast attenuation

Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got the mead going by the way. However the yeast decision was pretty much made for me as not much mentioned was carried or in stock, and of course I did not want to wait. Ended up with the 212 which is really finicky and needy. So far though, I am babysitting it nicely and it is working along.

I did have my oops moment in mead making on it though. While refilling the airlock, the jug splashed and about a teaspoon or so went down into the primary. While I know it wont hurt me to drink it, did I just screw up the taste of the mead?

About a week old, 2.4 gallons of orange blossom mead and 1-1.5 teaspoons of star san went in?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessPurple View Post
Got the mead going by the way. However the yeast decision was pretty much made for me as not much mentioned was carried or in stock, and of course I did not want to wait. Ended up with the 212 which is really finicky and needy. So far though, I am babysitting it nicely and it is working along.

I did have my oops moment in mead making on it though. While refilling the airlock, the jug splashed and about a teaspoon or so went down into the primary. While I know it wont hurt me to drink it, did I just screw up the taste of the mead?

About a week old, 2.4 gallons of orange blossom mead and 1-1.5 teaspoons of star san went in?
RC-212 isn't finicky at all. Its a prettg robust yeast, just that it has higher nutrient needs. Just watch out for any signs of H2S (rotten egg) oduor. Usually sorted by a good stir to oxygenate followex by a dose of nutrient/energiser.

As for the star san ? I don't use it. I use home mixed sanitiser of 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 teaspoon of citric acid mixed in a pint of water, which I keep in a hand spray. That lasts fine for a month or so and I just wash everything in soap and water then rinse it off and spray it with the sanitiser and leave it for 2 or 3 minutes contact time. Plus I fill my airlocks with it as it won't harm the batch if it gets in by accident.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

sounds tastier than the star san might be.

I might invest in a cheap vodka for the air locks then I don't have to worry about my clumsiness.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessPurple View Post
-----snip-----
I might invest in a cheap vodka for the air locks then I don't have to worry about my clumsiness.
you can indeed do that, but you then need to keep a close eye on the airlocks as it can evaporate reasonably quickly.

I just use the home made sanitiser as it doesn't affect the taste if a bit gets in and give the cost of spirits, well booze in general here, it's a waste of good vodka IMO.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply