Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Orange blossom, coconut, serrano, thai basil, lemongrass, jasmine mead - crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6023 Times on 5275 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Default Orange blossom, coconut, serrano, thai basil, lemongrass, jasmine mead - crazy?

So after sampling some of Sacchromyces' mead at NHC, I got to thinking about some over the top stuff.

What would you think about a coconut, serrano, thai basil, lemongrass, jasmine mead using orange blossom honey?

I was thinking jasmine tea would add a little tanin, but probably not much jasmine flavor, so I may look to jasmine flowers...

I may consider making a tea out of the basil and lemongrass as well, as to not overpower anything...

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I was thinking jasmine tea would add a little tanin, but probably not much jasmine flavor, so I may look to jasmine flowers...

I may consider making a tea out of the basil and lemongrass as well, as to not overpower anything...
A little tannin would be nice. I've been thinking about jasmine flowers too but for a different mead. The only thing I can think of is that lemongrass seems like really strong stuff, you probably won't need very much!

Sounds like a fun experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4620 Times on 4308 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
So after sampling some of Sacchromyces' mead at NHC, I got to thinking about some over the top stuff.

What would you think about a coconut, serrano, thai basil, lemongrass, jasmine mead using orange blossom honey?

Thoughts?
Sounds like Thai Orange coconut shrimp in a glass. Jasmine would be a great addition. So long as she's single.

Or at least can keep a secret.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
A little tannin would be nice. I've been thinking about jasmine flowers too but for a different mead. The only thing I can think of is that lemongrass seems like really strong stuff, you probably won't need very much!

Sounds like a fun experiment.
Yeah, I know lemongrass is really powerful in Thai soup. I'm wondering if maybe just some lemon zest would be a little better?

Any advice on your coconut & serrano experiments would be helpful.

I may look to a different pepper than serrano as well. At our NHC booth we had a bunch of chili pepper tinctures and I need to try and remember which flavor I liked the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Sounds like Thai Orange coconut shrimp in a glass. Jasmine would be a great addition. So long as she's single.

Or at least can keep a secret.
Zing!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

For mine I used an 11oz bag of unsweetened coconut flakes in just over a gallon of the base mead. I split four Serrano peppers lengthwise and soaked them for 3 days in vodka. I ended up adding about 2/3 of the tincture. Habanero is a good choice, since it's fairly neutral. The Serranos I used because I had them on hand from the farmer's market produce box we get every two weeks. They are a bit grassy and perhaps not the best choice, I'm going to try Habanero next time.

The base mead was California Orange Blossom honey, OG 1.096. Yeast was 71B-1122 at a pitch rate of 2g per gallon, rehydrated with GoFerm and pitched at 59 degrees. I fermented at 62 with SNA, oxygen at 0, 12 and 24 hours, and de-gassing 2x per day until I got to 1.040. I adjusted the pH to 3.4 during fermentation with potassium bicarbonate. Once I reached the target gravity of 1.004 I crash cooled, fined with Isinglass to drop out the yeast and filtered before racking onto the coconut to prevent re-fermentation. I stabilized with potassium sorbate and 50ppm of sulfites prior to bottling, and filtered again with a 1 micron filter at bottling. The finished pH was 3.8. Next time I will adjust the pH to 3.2 during fermentation, to leave a bit more acidity in the finished mead, and I'll consider adding a few grams of tartaric acid as well. It ended up a bit flabby so I feel I over-adjusted the pH a bit (the pH will rise slightly after the yeast drop out). I have not yet titrated to determine the TA but I plan to the next time I open a bottle.

Quote:

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
For mine I used an 11oz bag of unsweetened coconut flakes in just over a gallon of the base mead. I split four Serrano peppers lengthwise and soaked them for 3 days in vodka. I ended up adding about 2/3 of the tincture. Habanero is a good choice, since it's fairly neutral. The Serranos I used because I had them on hand from the farmer's market produce box we get every two weeks. They are a bit grassy and perhaps not the best choice, I'm going to try Habanero next time.

The base mead was California Orange Blossom honey, OG 1.096. Yeast was 71B-1122 at a pitch rate of 2g per gallon, rehydrated with GoFerm and pitched at 59 degrees. I fermented at 62 with SNA, oxygen at 0, 12 and 24 hours, and de-gassing 2x per day until I got to 1.040. I adjusted the pH to 3.4 during fermentation with potassium bicarbonate. Once I reached the target gravity of 1.004 I crash cooled, fined with Isinglass to drop out the yeast and filtered before racking onto the coconut to prevent re-fermentation. I stabilized with potassium sorbate and 50ppm of sulfites prior to bottling, and filtered again with a 1 micron filter at bottling. The finished pH was 3.8. Next time I will adjust the pH to 3.2 during fermentation, to leave a bit more acidity in the finished mead, and I'll consider adding a few grams of tartaric acid as well. It ended up a bit flabby so I feel I over-adjusted the pH a bit (the pH will rise slightly after the yeast drop out). I have not yet titrated to determine the TA but I plan to the next time I open a bottle.
thanks, do the peppers go in when you put the coconut in?

and what are you filtering with?
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
thanks, do the peppers go in when you put the coconut in?

and what are you filtering with?
I added the pepper tincture to taste right before bottling.

You can use any filter. The first filtration was with a coarse filter and the second was with a 1 micron nominal filter. I have a Enolmatic bottling machine, which filters in-line as you bottle, for the second filtration. First (coarse) filtering I used a whole house filter between two corny kegs, and you just push from one keg to the other through the filter. The setup I use I got at BrewMasters Warehouse, if you search for "filter" you should find it. The filters he sells are washable and re-usable -- rinse and soak overnight in double strength PBW, rinse and dry them. Then just push sanitizer (I use Saniclean coming out of an extra keg) through the filter and purge it with CO2 prior to filtering. As long as you clean them carefully and dry thoroughly to prevent mold you should be able to re-use the filters 20x before they wear out.

Quote:

Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Thanks Sacchromyces.

I'm thinking of maybe doing a vodka-based tincture for everything but the coconut....

Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
I'm thinking of maybe doing a vodka-based tincture for everything but the coconut....
Definitely the best method IMO since it gives you total control. I even do this to add oak to my beers (except I use Bourbon).

Quote:

Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I added the pepper tincture to taste right before bottling.

You can use any filter. The first filtration was with a coarse filter and the second was with a 1 micron nominal filter. I have a Enolmatic bottling machine, which filters in-line as you bottle, for the second filtration. First (coarse) filtering I used a whole house filter between two corny kegs, and you just push from one keg to the other through the filter. The setup I use I got at BrewMasters Warehouse, if you search for "filter" you should find it. The filters he sells are washable and re-usable -- rinse and soak overnight in double strength PBW, rinse and dry them. Then just push sanitizer (I use Saniclean coming out of an extra keg) through the filter and purge it with CO2 prior to filtering. As long as you clean them carefully and dry thoroughly to prevent mold you should be able to re-use the filters 20x before they wear out.
Thanks, I have debated whether to filter or not.

So are those 10" filter housings pretty universal meaning I could buy the one from somewhere else and get 10" filters elsewhere like BMW and they would fit?
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply