Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Opinions on my first mead recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Opinions on my first mead recipe

I have never made a mead before, so this is a first for me. It is technically a pomegranate melomel.

15 lbs or so of wildflower honey (from my own bees, cheap!)
6 quarts pomegranate juice
water to make 5 gallons
champagne yeast (something else?)
yeast nutrient
possibly some grape juice, or more pomegrnate once it hits the secondary

The recipe is kind of general (I haven't quite decided on it yet), but my end goal is to have it somewhere between dry and sweet, more towards the dry side.

I am afraid that the pomegranate juice will cause the mead to be overly tart. Has anybody done a pom, or even a cranberry melomel before (or even raspberries to a lesser extent). I don't want it to be mouth puckeringly tart, but I want the pomegranate to come through. I was thinking of possibly adding black tea (Twinings Ealr Grey, loose leaf in a tea ball during pasteurization) to the batch for a little bit of bittering that would maybe offset it. How does something like that sound? Would it work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

I put some pom in a beer once. It's way too tart in my opinion. If you do your mead sweet-style, it might compensate but I wouldn't go for a dry pom mead. That's just called "bitter".

1.5 gallons of pom is too much, IMHO.

The good news is that anyone drinking that much pom probably adds another decade onto their life.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply