Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Off-flavors: will they go away?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Off-flavors: will they go away?

Hello,
I just transferred my AHA Conference '08 recipe Fireball Mead to tertiary and added cinnamon oil. It had a rough fermentation, had to repitch, might have been lacking nutrients. Finally cleared about 2-3 weeks ago. My hydrometer sample tasted pretty rough: very alcholic, fruity esters (???), a little cloying, a bit nasty.

Will this age out? Will the cinnamon cover up nastiness?

Made on January 12, 2009
Transferred to tertiary August 2, 2009

OG: 1.130
FG: 1.044 (target 1.030-1.060)

Thanks in advance!

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Stash it somewhere cool for 2-3 years.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

David's right- it'll be a totally different mead in a couple of years. That's a high alcohol, sweet mead that will take a while to mellow out. It'll go from "rocket fuel" to "wonderful" in two-three (or maybe five) years.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1.044 is always going to stay cloying though. That's a LOT of residual sugar.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
1.044 is always going to stay cloying though. That's a LOT of residual sugar.
I wondered about that. The recipe from Zymurgy said anywhere between 1.030 and 1.060. It stopped at 1.044, and since I've had so much trouble with the fermentation I decided to say "good enough" and get on with it. I think the cinnamon will help to balance out the sweet though. I put in 1 tablespoon of cinnamon oil, which is the upper limit of what the recipe says (anywhere from 0.5-3.0 teaspoons), but if it's still really sweet I may add more. My primary concern is the harshness and excessive fruity esters of in the flavor.

Now that I've added potassium sorbate I don't guess there's any way to dry it out, is there? It is supposed to be a dessert mead, so I don't want to dry it out too far.

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
I wondered about that. The recipe from Zymurgy said anywhere between 1.030 and 1.060. It stopped at 1.044, and since I've had so much trouble with the fermentation I decided to say "good enough" and get on with it. I think the cinnamon will help to balance out the sweet though. I put in 1 tablespoon of cinnamon oil, which is the upper limit of what the recipe says (anywhere from 0.5-3.0 teaspoons), but if it's still really sweet I may add more. My primary concern is the harshness and excessive fruity esters of in the flavor.

Now that I've added potassium sorbate I don't guess there's any way to dry it out, is there? It is supposed to be a dessert mead, so I don't want to dry it out too far.
No, if you added sorbate, and the fermentation was finished, it's done. Sorbate doesn't go away.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My raspberry melomel ended up at 1.024 and its pretty darn sweet. I carb'd it in a keg and the carbonic acid helped balance it out.

it almost sounds more like a liquer/cordial at that FG /shrugs

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So, is Zymurgy usually fairly accurate with their gravities and other recipe info? Based on the responses here it seems like this one's way off. I've had a sample of this mead that they handed out at the conference, but I don't know the specifics of it, so I can't say how close mine is to theirs.

On-Deck:

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
So, is Zymurgy usually fairly accurate with their gravities and other recipe info? Based on the responses here it seems like this one's way off. I've had a sample of this mead that they handed out at the conference, but I don't know the specifics of it, so I can't say how close mine is to theirs.
I don't think I've ever made a Zymurgy recipe, but since it was the official mead of the conference, I bet it's fine.

I wasn't too crazy about this mead, and thought it was both too hot and too sweet. I didn't think it was 1.044 sweet, but still pretty sweet. I would have guessed 1.030 or so. It'll definitely be a dessert mead, and it should be good (if you liked the sample you had). To me, it tasted like sweetened cinnamon "red hots".

Were you at the conference? If you were, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #10
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No, sadly. The conference (in Cincinnati) was very close to where I lived at the time (Huntington, WV), but I wasn't able to make it. My club did a "Deadliest Batch" theme and got their picture in Zymurgy. Someday National Conference will come back this way and I'll be able to go.

At the next month's meeting my club had "Mead Night," and it was one of the meads we tried. I thought it tasted fairly close to Atomic Fireball candies, and I couldn't get enough (which sucked because we only had two bottles).

On-Deck:

Quick Reply