Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Off-dry Blackberry Mead Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSwede View Post
Thanks. I was going to heat ~2 gallons to 110 before adding the honey.

I'm really looking forward to making this ever since I found a supplier of unprocessed, local honey!
I go for raw, local/regional, wildflower honey for my meads. IMO/IME it's really great stuff. Lots more flavors compared with a singly honey type.

I would only heat the must IF the honey is really thick and you need it to mix better. Last batch I made had chunks of honey floating in it when I mixed it up. I used warmer water (kept it under 110F) since the honey was pretty well crystalized. I've been warming the honey up for a while now, with a heating pad on the bucket, so that it will be easier to mix up. Actually, I care more about having it easier to scoop the honey out of the [5 gallon] bucket.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
DaSwede
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Now that I think about it, if I taste and it's too dry after fermentation (before bottling) could I back-sweeten with a bit of honey (maybe .5lb or so)? And if I do, would I need to add something like potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast growth?

Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, All Citra Pale Ale, Bourbon Vanilla Stout, and Belgian Quad.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSwede View Post
Now that I think about it, if I taste and it's too dry after fermentation (before bottling) could I back-sweeten with a bit of honey (maybe .5lb or so)? And if I do, would I need to add something like potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast growth?
If you choose to backsweeten once this is dry, or as far as the yeast will go, then you always add k-meta/campden plus sorbate. Failing to so so will cause refermentation, unless the yeast are at toxicity point. Do tasting trials before you backsweeten...some like 2-4-6 oz per gallon or any amount above/beyond.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
epyonxero
Recipes 

I recently had some of the same blackberry mead and also would like to try making my own. The goal is a full 6 gallon carboy using tupelo honey and that blackberry puree linked above. What Im confused about is the ratio of honey/puree per gallon.

Using the calculator I chose a target ABV of 12.5%, which is the same as the original mead, and 15# of honey which the amount I used in my previous fruit mead which was an apple cyser using apple cider in place of water. This gave an fruit amount of 46.2 oz which is just under one can of the puree. Im worried that that amount wont give enough color or flavor to the mix but Im not sure how to figure out the optimal amount of fruit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
DaSwede
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
I recently had some of the same blackberry mead and also would like to try making my own. The goal is a full 6 gallon carboy using tupelo honey and that blackberry puree linked above. What Im confused about is the ratio of honey/puree per gallon.

Using the calculator I chose a target ABV of 12.5%, which is the same as the original mead, and 15# of honey which the amount I used in my previous fruit mead which was an apple cyser using apple cider in place of water. This gave an fruit amount of 46.2 oz which is just under one can of the puree. Im worried that that amount wont give enough color or flavor to the mix but Im not sure how to figure out the optimal amount of fruit. Any advice would be appreciated.
I wouldn't worry about hitting the 12.5% ABV exactly. The mead is 12.5% +/- 1.5% so 11 - 14% ABV. The meadery uses the same amounts of base mead and fruit with every batch, but the fruit sugar content isn't completely consistent from batch to batch. By law they have to be +/- 1.5% so putting 12.5% on the bottle is the safest.

I haven't made this yet, but it's spring time, so soon I'll be able to get local, raw honey for a reasonable price!
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, All Citra Pale Ale, Bourbon Vanilla Stout, and Belgian Quad.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
epyonxero
Recipes 

If I go with the blackberry puree should it be added during secondary or primary? The oringal mead had a strong fruit flavor and colorwith a good tangyness but it was also dry.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
cageybee
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

how long before this will be drinkable?

"The surgeon general has determined the previous information may be tainted with arrogant proselytizations...consume at your own risk"

Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
epyonxero
Recipes 

Any update on this?

Quick Reply