Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Oak Aged Mead - Tastes like Bourbon!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #11
SkiGladys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am thinking of starting to make a mead, and the bourbon flavour idea intrigued me.

What was the full recipe that you used, and any suggestions for a new mead maker?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sure, mead is the easiest thing in the world, it's the first thing I ever fermented.

Traditional Mead
4 gallons

- 1 gallon (12 lbs) honey (I used wildflower, you can use anything you want)
- Water up to 4 gallons
- Lalvin d-47 or other wine yeast
- Yeast nutrient

Sanitize all buckets, mixing spoons, hydrometers, and generally anything that comes in contact with the mead. Mix the honey with the water, don't heat it! It'll take a while, but just keep stirring. Rehydrate the wine yeast in some warm water. Take a gravity reading of the honey mixture (now called must) and you should be somewhere around 1.098 and 1.100. When the yeast is ready, pitch it into the must and shake like hell, get as much o2 in there as possible. Put a teaspoon of the yeast nutrient in there as well. Toss it in your closet and forget about it for a while.

When it comes to oaking, I would rack your mead to a secondary and add the American oak chips at that point. You don't need much, a small handful in the four gallons should be plenty. How long should you leave it in there? That's entirely up to you. I left it in for a week and it was too much for me, and I had to age it out. Taste is the only way to know, so sample a little every other day or so until it's where you want it. Good luck, and send me a bottle when it's done

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I hope that my Oak'd Mead tastes like bourbon! I started mine around Valentine's Day, and I am getting ready to bottle towards the end of this month. I had an OG of 1.124, and a FG of 1.020...13.65% I think that I might have added the oak too early causing the extended fermentation, but it did ferment to completion.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I hope that my Oak'd Mead tastes like bourbon! I started mine around Valentine's Day, and I am getting ready to bottle towards the end of this month. I had an OG of 1.124, and a FG of 1.020...13.65% I think that I might have added the oak too early causing the extended fermentation, but it did ferment to completion.
How long has it been on oak, and what kind?

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Quick Reply