Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Novice mead questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
irishlion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Novice mead questions

I'm new to making any type of alcohol, I am serious about the process and getting it right and having it come out (Not perfect nobody gets it perfect the first time) but good. I know what I need and have the money for the expenses. I bought my wooden charred barrel for the finished product and I have the fermentation lock. What I need to know is where do I buy yeast and what kind do I use that is the best. Also how long do I wait for it to finish fermenting and do I have to age it? I may ask more question later and I thank you for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Depending on what you want to brew exactly changes the yeast to be used. Do you want a traditional mead (Honey/water/nutrient/yeast)? Or do you want a Melomel (Fruit mead), Metheglin (Spiced or herbal mead), Cyser (Apple mead), Pyment (Grape mead)...............?

Fermenting time depend on the recipe. I have some done in weeks, others done in months.

Aging is always recommended. Depending on the recipe you may be able to drink it within 3 months but aging 8 - 12 months before drinking is common.

Let us know what your preferences are and we all can direct you to a recipe & directions that will help you out to get a decent product.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlion View Post
I'm new to making any type of alcohol, I am serious about the process and getting it right and having it come out (Not perfect nobody gets it perfect the first time) but good. I know what I need and have the money for the expenses. I bought my wooden charred barrel for the finished product and I have the fermentation lock. What I need to know is where do I buy yeast and what kind do I use that is the best. Also how long do I wait for it to finish fermenting and do I have to age it? I may ask more question later and I thank you for any input.
Buy yeast at you lhbs. As for thy type every one has there own opinion and I'm a fan of lavin. 71b-1122 and d-47 but I'm sure you will come into your own. And as for aging we all say yes just some ppl have different ages I say if you like it drink it. However I like to age 6m to 18m....

Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A location on your profile would help. There may be someone not too far away who can suggest local suppliers etc....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply