Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > not sure if I have proper fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
tweake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

just remember there is different hydrometers. ie beer, wine, spirits. you want a wine one or any thats got the biggest range on the scale. eg mine goes from 0.80-1.150.

62f is going to go a little slow. i have one batch of mead with EC1118 at around that temp and its crawling. not a bad thing taste wise but it will take a few weeks to brew.

i don't know about fruit. i haven't done much with fruit. seeing as its already in i would leave it till ferment is finished. i figure you might as well get max taste out of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
jitup
Recipes 

Thats what I thought about the fruit. I am just a little worried about it rotting or molding, but I guess the yeast and alc would take care of that. I don't mind waiting a few weeks for a ferment. I just don't want to have all my kit tied up for months. I would rather it take a little longer to ferment and have decent flavor so I don't have to let it age for years. This is why I went with the wine yeast over the turbo yeast.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
tweake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

turbo yeast are made for brewing straight sugar for distilling. no idea what that would do to fruit. i know some of them stink really bad.

only curse with fruit is it may need to keep punching the cap down. don't let it sit on top to long as bacteria etc can get at it.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Lunchbox201
Recipes 

And if you are adding spices I use a cheese cloth bag that way it can steep but I don't have to worry about straining it out of my wine mead soda whatever plus if you place a sanitized glass shooter marble in the bag it will sit in the mead and not float on top so there is no need to keep pushing it back down

Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I recommend fermenting on the fruit no more than 5-7 days. Otherwise, the fruit starts to break down (rot) and ruins the wine.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply