Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Noob to brewing... 1 week brewing, ready to rack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My first batch is almost a month old and it's still fermenting nicely. Simple batch like you have. I"m thinking 6+ weeks before it goes from one carboy to the next. But ONLY if it's completed fermenting. I don't see it going in a bottle for 2 more months.

One thing about mead is it takes lotsa time to get were it needs to be.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinG60
Hopefully not being too bi of a pain here... I expected to rack tomorrow so 2 days ago I put a hydrometer to it and got 1.03. I sealed it back up and checked and again got a reading of 1.030. Seems a little high to be finished, or so I have read. Is this bad? Or wrong? Finished and ready to put into a carboy?
You can transfer from primary (which I NEVER) apply an airlock to when making mead/wine, and when OG has dropped by 2/3 I transfer to carboy and apply airlock. I never use airlock activity as a monitor because I have had some yeasts that simply do not cause a lot of activity. Plus mead as compared to wine can take a bit longer to hit the end of fermentation. I really do not worry about it because I know I will be bulk aging. If I have a high gravity OG, greater than 1.110, I never use all that fermentable up front since it simply stresses the yeast out. The honey is fed in planned increments. If I want to know what is going on I use my hydrometer. No issues in three years.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply