New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > No bubbles, HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
heavyt67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No bubbles, HELP!

First off, I'll say that this is my first brew of any kind (beer, wine, etc.). Sunday I started a mead in a brew bucket using 12 lbs local pure honey, 4 gallons of distilled water and a packet champagne yeast (Lalvin ec-1118). I intended to add some fruit after first fermentation but I'm still waiting on some strong bubbling. I haven't seen any action from the airlock, however, there is some decent carbonation after stirring. I'm VERY naive to the brewing process and curious if I need to take action to save the batch or if it will work itself out. Please be gentle to the ignorant . Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh gosh. Just tighten your bung. The co2 is prolly getting around it somehow. Forget the airlock. If its not bubbling, it means nothing tbh. If you used 1118, it could ferment a sugar cube in lava. You haven't messed anything up and there is nothing to save. Just let it be.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
banik
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bubbles are not indicative of fermentation. You should get a hydrometer and go off the actual measurements.

Also, I don't see any mention of nutrients, which are also necessary in meads since honey doesn't have many trace elements. Quick solution would be to boils a few teaspoons of bread yeast and add it in.

Other than that, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
maddprofessor
Recipes 

Wine and mead tend to just look like champagne while fermenting...there will just be small bubbles rising, not like beer. If it's really going some bubbles might build up.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like you're on your way to making a decent "show mead". If you add anything like nutrients, boiled bread yeast, anything to supplimentally feed your yeast you will ferment out faster but it will put you into the "traditional mead" category, which is what most of us do. The "show" and "traditional" categories are based off of competition requirements. So you have a couple options, leave it be, let it slowly ferment out and if have the patience you have a decent quality drink....or... get yourself some nutrients from your home brew store or get some bread yeast add to a little water let it boil some, cool then pitch and again in some time you have a decent quality drink....in both cases stir it up good to degas and aerate, let it roll and enjoy.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
1118, it could ferment a sugar cube in lava

Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
heavyt67
Recipes 

I think I'll be leaving this bucket as it is and waiting it out.. Since most responses say it should be alright. I'm pretty dopey on the time frames but I'm thinking 3-4 weeks before I move it to the carboy with fruit. I'm going to get another batch going this weekend (I'm already addicted). Any suggestions on a tasty mead? I'm thinking about the Mayan themed one with vanilla and cocoa. I'm not very seasoned with mead varieties, just a beer snob that stumbled on a bottle of Viking Blod.

Last edited by heavyt67; 03-22-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Id let it stay in the primary longer than that. 2-3 months.. Watch your sg. Mead is a slow moving creature. Nothing like beer.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
MacrosNZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Did you rehydrate the 1118 before pitching?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
tweake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
Bubbles are not indicative of fermentation. You should get a hydrometer and go off the actual measurements.

Also, I don't see any mention of nutrients, which are also necessary in meads since honey doesn't have many trace elements. Quick solution would be to boils a few teaspoons of bread yeast and add it in.
thats the main things. get a hydrometer, they are cheap.

nutrients are very important. honey does not have any real nutrient so your fermentation is very poor. boiled bread yeast will not do anything at this stage. need to get some proper nutrients, both vitamin and DAP based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhunter87 View Post
Id let it stay in the primary longer than that. 2-3 months.. Watch your sg. Mead is a slow moving creature. Nothing like beer.
imho the "mead is slow" is a crap saying and should not be uttered !
in most cases the mead is slow due to poor fermentation, this thread is a perfect example of it. mead should be brewed slow due to low temps not bad nutrition.

Quick Reply