Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > No-Age Sweet Mead Ready in 3 Weeks-J.M.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
mikefox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No-Age Sweet Mead Ready in 3 Weeks-J.M.

just stumbled across this recipe from gotmead.com and was wonering if anyone here has tried it,is it actualy good to drink in 3 weeks?
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...d=119&Itemid=6

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Kershner_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd be somewhat skeptical about how well it tastes after 3 weeks, but then Joe M. has provided us with some other good recipes that are ready quickly. If you only have to wait three weeks, I say try it and see. If nothing else, it'll only get better with age.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've done two of Joe's recipes, but not that one. His Grape Mead was as advertised, quick and good. His AO was a little gamey for 6 months, then it was good. That one was advertised as a 3 month "quick" mead.

Looking at that recipe, there's no reason it shouldn't be drinkable in 3 weeks, it's relatively low gravity and 'finishes' very sweet at 1.020... that will mask a good bit of funkiness.

If you try that recipe, will you keep a brewlog on GM and link here? I'd like to follow it.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Let's get this up on the "Recipe Database" section for Mead. I can't tell you how long I searched for this over there, then remembered that it might be over here instead!

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
meading_of_minds
Recipes 

I followed this recipe, only once and once it will stay. It was just terrible.
I've had better results from JOAM, sincerely.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
sabre73
Recipes 

Default 3 week mead

The 3 week method is how I was taught. After 3 weeks, decant, and let it sit for a day or two. It's very good.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Hethen57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've made that recipe...it comes out sweet and high in alcohol. Some people who don't like the tartness of wine will really like it (much like a desert wine) and some will hate it because it is too sweet. Honestly, it is probably one of the better Mead recipes I have made, because I don't have the patience to wait a few years to see if something is any good. The next time I make it, I may play with the timing a little to get it a little drier, without losing all the sweetness. It does deliver a drinkable mead in 3 weeks.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't done this recipe, but I recently had a similar idea (ie quick mead), and got some good advice in this thread: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...ht=quick+dirty

TL;DR a lower gravity of 1.080 might work out better; stabilizing and then backsweetening will make it more quaffable; or you can add a bit of honey right before you drink it to sweeten it a bit and not fuss with stabilizing.

Quick Reply