Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Newbie making Chocolate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
Sorry a little overeager, by watering down the mead and adding nutrient you should be able to get a healthy starter, then just keep stepping it up till it large enough to handle the entire batch.
I think I got you now. No new yeast is being added in your plan, just changing the living conditions for a sample of the existing yeasts to it can have an easier time of multiplying to a large enough population to take over the sugars right?

Any really rough timeline on how long this new starter could take? I don't want to dive into doing this until I know I have enough time blocked off for the operation. I imagine it would be at least 24 hours.

Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Recipes 

Made the new starter Weds after work, built it up until I went to bed last night and pitched it then. Today after work the airlock is moving at about a bubble every 30 seconds.

Seems to be in better shape now. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

668 - Odds are the initial yeast finally got their act together and started fermenting instead of just slowing replicating. The process I mentioned would take a day for each addition and maybe a total of 4 days.
In any case, just step back and leave it alone for at least a month now. That high of an OG the yeast are going to take their time working through that. After a month to a month and a half you may want to check it out and rack to a secondary.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I did a blueberry mead once and the gravity must have been high too. I aereated it twice and finally dosed it with more yeast and yeast nutrient that I whiped up in the blender so it was nice and oxgenated. Still no go. I finally just simply racked it and then it went crazy. So my recomendation is to just rack it and don't worry too much about getting sediment out. Then it should be quite vigorously fermenting.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Recipes 

Month and half later. There has been a steady stream of tiny white bubbles slowly working its way up to the next since the repitch, so I took a reading. In the last month and half it has gone from 1.132 down to 1.110.

Any thoughts on this progress?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Recipes 

I put this guy away and pretty much forgot about it for the past three months. It had about a half inch of sediment, and still had bubble rising in it so I racked it and took a reading.

1.106. :/ Ugh. dropped .004 in the past three months. This guy is going no where fast, yet appeared to still be active. Any pros want to provide some insight for me?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

First, thank you for coming back, I know you are here because you have an issue, but this recipe was incredibly intriguing to me and I am glad to see you are still working on it.

Second, have you read over Hightest's mead FAQs? I know he has a specific one on restarting a stuck mead. You most certainly have a stuck ferment, it may have dropped .004 in 3 months, it probably dropped that about 3 months ago. There are a lot of things you can do, but read over his suggestions first, as his are more experienced based suggestions then my own.

Quick Reply