Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Newb working on an apricot melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
vulcan500rider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would top it up to the neck with either apple juice or water--your call. The sugars in the apple juice may ferment a bit, if you go that direction, but it shouldn't be a big deal if it's under an airlock anyway.

Sounds like it's coming along well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
OptimusJay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually added a water/honey mix (probably like 10:1 ratio) to fill it up to near the neck. Now to let it sit for probably 5 or 6 weeks to clear, then hopefully bottle it.
Thanks again,
Jay

Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
OptimusJay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's coming up on 2 months since my last post. I have not touched the mead. It still sits in it's glass carboy, wrapped in a towel. I am approaching 3 months since I started this mead. It is not really clearing and I would like it to. I have read about Bentonite and am considering using some. Any suggestions for me regarding that? I think the overall cloudiness is due to the apricot puree. Also, it's been stored in a room with a pretty constant temp of around 68F. My garage is now going to be cooler due to winter coming so I was wondering if that would be a better place to store. Thoughts on that?
Jay

Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Few things...

1. You want to stop food/aeration at the 1/3 break, NOT the 1/2 break.
2. You don't want to rack more than once a month.
3. You did better by using a honey mixture/must to top off the carboy. I would go with a solution that matched your original. That way your numbers will still be accurate.
4. Using EC-1118 means it's going to go to DRY. As in middle of a barren desert dry. That yeast WILL go to 18%, or consume ALL sugars it can trying to get there.

With your OG of 1.101, the yeast isn't done yet. Take a FG reading. Chances are it's below 1.000. Add more honey/fruit to it and it will be consumed by the yeast. You're only real choices are to keep feeding it honey until the yeast stops, then add some more to back-sweeten it (you could use more apricot too). Or chemically stop/kill the yeast before back-sweetening it up..

I would HIGHLY recommend you go over to the Got Mead? Forums and read up there. Far more information there, and tons more mazers to boot.

BTW, even once it appears to be clear (as in crystal clear) I would give it at least a few more months before you bottle it. My guidelines (many others too) is under 14%, at least 9 months in bulk. 14-16%, 10-12 months. 16-18% 12-14 months. Above 18%, plan 18+ months. You can always go longer (without harm). IME, the longer you actually give it in bulk the better. Not only does it age really well this way, but you can tweak it (easily) if needed. Once it's in bottles, it's done and you really can't do much beyond wait.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
OptimusJay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I took a reading this afternoon and it was 1.005. According to the hydrometer's corresponding ABV this is at about 13% now. For being 3 months young I thought it tasted really good, and so did the wife. She was surprised.

Since the reading was at 1.005 am I correct to assume then that this is not even done fermenting, or could it really be done?

I was encouraged with the taste so I will more than likely just let it sit for another 3 months in the carboy and let it try and clear up naturally, and then I'll take a reading to see if it drops lower than the 1.005 it's at now.

Thanks again,
Jay

Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusJay View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info.

I took a reading this afternoon and it was 1.005. According to the hydrometer's corresponding ABV this is at about 13% now. For being 3 months young I thought it tasted really good, and so did the wife. She was surprised.
Use the calc found on this site to get an actual, accurate, ABV%. You're at 12.8% right now.

Quote:
Since the reading was at 1.005 am I correct to assume then that this is not even done fermenting, or could it really be done?
Given half a chance, EC-1118 will continue to consume any sugars present that it can. Add any more sugars to the mix and chances are EC-1118 will go to town on it and give you more alcohol.

Quote:
I was encouraged with the taste so I will more than likely just let it sit for another 3 months in the carboy and let it try and clear up naturally, and then I'll take a reading to see if it drops lower than the 1.005 it's at now.

Thanks again,
Jay
I would be sure to have those time frames extremely soft. You might need/want to rack in 1-2 months, or not until after 4-5 months (or longer). Let it go as long as possible in the carboy/bulk form. If you have more than a small amount of headspace above the melomel, get one of the keg pocket charger items to put CO2 into it. You might need to keep hitting it with CO2 every few weeks (or so) to keep enough in there. Since I use sealed vessels for aging my fermentations, I don't need to worry. Once I've purged the atmosphere/air from it (with CO2) it's sealed up and worry free.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
OptimusJay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

An update on my apricot melomel. It's about 3 weeks shy of being a year since I made this. It has been sitting untouched in a cool dark space for several months. I just pulled it out if storage and it is finally clearing nicely. Took a small sample and the taste is very nice. Dry, slightly tart, yet still sweet. Very pleased with the way this is coming along. I will continue to let it sit. Here are a couple pics. Lastly, hydro reading shows SG at 1004.
Jay

image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
OptimusJay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another pic

image.jpg  

Quick Reply