Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > a new way of carbonating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHansen6 View Post
Dry ice and water still wont get any colder than normal ice and water. Water is still limited to 0 celcius as it's freezing point, more or less. If you want to flash freeze the neck of the bottles use acetone and dry ice, -78 Celcius. You of course then are potentially introducing poisons into your drink.

There was something about ice and Calcium chloride I read about reaching -30 or -40 celcius when used as a slurry with just ice, no water involved.
Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, even Sodium Chloride mixed with ice can produce a liquid/ice slurry that will be anywhere from -20 to -40C. You could put dry ice in there to maintain the lower temperature over a more extended period of time, but that isn't usually necessary. This water ice/salt mix is traditionally what is done to produce the freezing baths for M.C. (or M.T.). If you tried the acetone/dry ice mixture I'd bet you'd find more bottles breaking from thermal stress than you'd successfully freeze for degorgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
Arau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes, mixing sodium chloride (normal salt) with ice water will cause the water's freezing point to lower drastically thus having super cooled water. i'm not sure what temp range it goes to but it's def in the minuses.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #23
C2H5OH
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not that I've ever tried this, but I suspect when the ice hits the room temp beer you will get some pretty violent bubbling and some of your beer will come out and make a mess.

...That's my best guess.

Quick Reply