New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > New Recipe Opinions: Hibiscus Blueberry Ginger Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
jscholtes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I checked today, and it is at 1.003. I rack it off the hibiscus in another week, and I will take another reading then. It is dropping a bit faster than expected, but but may be right on.

Primary: (empty) | Secondary: Pomegranate Melomel, Hibiscus Ginger Methyglin | Bottled: Red Chai Methyglin, Hard Cider, JAOM (modified), Blueberry Melomel, Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Perry, Ames Artisanal Honey Show Mead, Agave Cyser | Kegged: (empty)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
jscholtes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I took a taste on 1/22 and there was a slight vegetable flavor so I racked the mead off the hibiscus flowers. I checked the gravity a few days ago and it was a smidge below 1.000, maybe .97 or so. I figured I would give it another try since I had some in the hydrometer tube anyway, and I tasted an only slight vegetable flavor. It's a good thing I decided to rack a little earlier than planned.

The air lock had stopped bubbling altogether a few days ago. I gave it a taste, and all the residual sweetness had left the mead and there wasn't a trace of ginger in the flavor at all. I figured I'd like to see if I could get it bubbling again, so I heated a little less than a pint water in a pot, added a tad shy of 3 lb of Mesquite honey and about 2 oz of sliced ginger root. I let that hang out at about 160 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then I let it cool, and I slowly added the honey ginger water to the rest of the mead.

I forgot to take another gravity reading at that point, but it is bubbling every 5 - 10 seconds now. It does have a little bit of that "hot" alcohol taste, but I imagine that will mellow in time. I'm not scheduled to do anything with it for a few weeks, but I will report on it then.

Primary: (empty) | Secondary: Pomegranate Melomel, Hibiscus Ginger Methyglin | Bottled: Red Chai Methyglin, Hard Cider, JAOM (modified), Blueberry Melomel, Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Perry, Ames Artisanal Honey Show Mead, Agave Cyser | Kegged: (empty)

Last edited by jscholtes; 02-10-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply