Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A New Mead Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
archtech88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A New Mead Recipe

Aright, once the local Apple CIders are ready to go, I plan to try this out:

24 Lbs Missouri Wildflower Honey
4 Gallons Local Apple Cider
1/2 Lb Raison
1/2 Lb Dates
Smattering of Spices (pinch of cinnimon, cloves, allspice; that sort of thing)
Yeast & other things like that

I am going for reasonably strong and tasty. Is there something I could do to improve it?

This is a combination of a couple of older recipes I have, so it's something of an experiment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
nickwoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That will have a super high OG right?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
fuelish
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtech88 View Post
I am going for reasonably strong and tasty. Is there something I could do to improve it?
I'd cut back the honey a bit.....4 gallons cider and 24 lbs of honey will be about 6 gallons, or 4 lbs honey/gallon...although I've done it, I wouldn't recommend it (will likely stall out and finish really sweet and not as strong as you think it's gonna be, unless perhaps you start with a lot less honey up front and "step-feed" it over time)....that's a lot of fermentable sugar for any yeast to have to contend with all at once. If you're going for a 6 gallon batch, 18 lbs of honey should be more than plenty. Maybe try 4 lbs honey and enough cider to make one gallon, and see how it goes - 24 lbs of honey is a LOT to use on something that may not come out to your liking.....1 gallon experiments are great for any recipe that's not proven, tried and true....if it ain't quite right, you haven't "wasted" a lot of precious honey...just an idea
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
bernardsmith
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I agree with fuelish but what is the value of adding 1/2 raisins? is that in place of nutrient? Ditto the dates? Not going to get much or any flavor from 1/b of dates in 5 or 6 gallons of mead... so their value is... what?

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1146 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 3283

Use whole/cracked/sliced/chopped spices. Powdered spices will continue to add spice flavor until it has all been extracted, which will likely be too strong. Once powdered spices have been added, you cannot remove them without filtration; they also tend to make a mess.

Use a hop sack to contain the spices, you can weigh it down with a couple of sanitized, lead free glass marbles if you like. If you tie a piece of fishing line to the hop sack, you can use the bung to keep it in place, making it really easy to remove the spices once your desired flavor profile has been reached.

I'd be sure to add yeast nutrient/energizer & DAP for a healthy fermentation. Also, I'd roughly chop those raisins in a food processor so the yeast can get at all that raisiny goodness; same with the dates. A dose of pectic enzyme at the beginning of fermentation will do wonders to help break down the fruit & will help to clear your cyser. I'd also give it a dose of sulfite before pitching yeast, but wait to add pectic enzyme till at least 12 hrs after sulfiting & be sure to aerate well before pitching yeast.

Your recipe sounds very much like Ken Schramm's Falls Bounty Cyser recipe; I've made that one & can tell you it's VERY TASTY! It's going to take a year or two for it to age, but it's worth the wait. I think you're on your way to a tasty cyser!
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply