Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > New Mead...I would like a recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
nitack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
Mead tasted like honey the same way wine tastes like grapes.

It can, and sometimes does, but most the time does not.
Take that MzAnnie!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
Like I said before, I find honey absolutley disgusting, I keep trying it, and I keep hating it, so I am NOT looking forward to making this mead, AT ALL. But the husband is grateful for your replies. He keeps bugging me, and I keep telling him I need more info!
I have a mead going right now that does not taste like honey at all but more like a full bodied red wine plus a little something. It is just a dry mead that I added cherries to and a touch of cinnamon. Still too young to really drink but tasting good and and improving.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
lucasbodie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

LOL @ rocket fuel...

Old 11-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Great Morning, All...you have been so very helpful with all your mead insights and encouragements. I do mean "ALL" of you The husband has decided he wants the Carmel Apple Mead. I have purchased the ingredients, and he is so excited. When it turns out, I am hoping to score some more honey from the 'HoneyMan' using the mead as an effective bargaining tool. Thank you so much... Annie the "Honey Hater"!!!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Great Morning, All...you have been so very helpful with all your mead insights and encouragements. I do mean "ALL" of you The husband has decided he wants the Carmel Apple Mead. I have purchased the ingredients, and he is so excited. When it turns out, I am hoping to score some more honey from the 'HoneyMan' using the mead as an effective bargaining tool. Thank you so much... Annie the "Honey Hater"!!!
Annie,

You really should find out if you have a meadery in your area. Most have tasting rooms and bottles can be purchased to take home. I suspect you would be very surprised at the different flavors you may end up loving. I would not encourage you to try the commercial Chaurcer mead. It has not received good reviews by mead makers/lovers.

But, keep visting HBT to ask questions and share your Mead experience.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Annie,

You really should find out if you have a meadery in your area. Most have tasting rooms and bottles can be purchased to take home. I suspect you would be very surprised at the different flavors you may end up loving. I would not encourage you to try the commercial Chaurcer mead. It has not received good reviews by mead makers/lovers.

But, keep visting HBT to ask questions and share your Mead experience.
I live in Columbia, MS...the closest brewing store is in Hattiesburg, so I end up ordering online and getting most of my information here too. I have tried all three meads that I have made, including the one that is currently rocket fuel. Even though I have an adversity to honey, the mead was tolerable. I will try the Carmel Apple one, also, when it is done, but I much prefer my 'young Swamp Swill' wine, to mead. Husband prefers the later, as he has 'honey' in his veins. We probably go through, just household use, 20 gallons a year, that is cooking, coffee, and herbal remedies. I will keep trying mead, but I don't know how long it will take to get the crinkle off my face, when the word honey is mentioned!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth8530 View Post
I highly recommend not boiling your honey. Mainly because you risk losing many of your delicate aromatics. At the most try gentle heating (120 ish F) to warm it up so it is easier to work with.
IME/IMO, keeping it under 100-110F is far better. It's perfectly fine to have chunks in your must. Especially if the honey you're using has gone to crystal. You can use a warm water bath to get the honey more fluid, while in bucket. I actually have a bucket of honey that I need to do that with, before mixing up another batch.

Keep an eye on the temperature your mead is fermenting at too. You want to keep it within the range of the yeast. IME, try to keep it in the lower end of the range. It will take longer to ferment, but I like what goes to glass better that way. Depending on where you are that could mean either a swamp cooler, fermentation chamber, or fitting the fermenter with a heat source. With cooler weather coming along, I have a heating pad on the side of my mead fermenting keg. I'm looking to keep it in the mid 70's since the yeast has a fermentation temperature range of 68-86F. It gets real sluggish below about 65F.

I would also advise looking at the forums on the Got Mead? site for information/advice on making mead.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IME/IMO, keeping it under 100-110F is far better. It's perfectly fine to have chunks in your must. Especially if the honey you're using has gone to crystal. You can use a warm water bath to get the honey more fluid, while in bucket. I actually have a bucket of honey that I need to do that with, before mixing up another batch.

Keep an eye on the temperature your mead is fermenting at too. You want to keep it within the range of the yeast. IME, try to keep it in the lower end of the range. It will take longer to ferment, but I like what goes to glass better that way. Depending on where you are that could mean either a swamp cooler, fermentation chamber, or fitting the fermenter with a heat source. With cooler weather coming along, I have a heating pad on the side of my mead fermenting keg. I'm looking to keep it in the mid 70's since the yeast has a fermentation temperature range of 68-86F. It gets real sluggish below about 65F.

I would also advise looking at the forums on the Got Mead? site for information/advice on making mead.

Thank you...it is starting to cool down here in South Mississippi, and soon we will be building a wine room, on the North side of the house. I am hoping I can finagle a way to keep it at a constant 70-75 degrees, by insulating the crap out of it. I was really dreading making the Carmel Apple Mead for the husband, but I am kind of looking forward to it now!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Thank you...it is starting to cool down here in South Mississippi, and soon we will be building a wine room, on the North side of the house. I am hoping I can finagle a way to keep it at a constant 70-75 degrees, by insulating the crap out of it. I was really dreading making the Carmel Apple Mead for the husband, but I am kind of looking forward to it now!
Depending on the room size, you might want to get a small AC unit for that room. A window unit, or build a wall box to hold it, would probably be best. Get one with an actual thermostat in it (very common these days) and remote control. I would also get one of the weather stations that has at least one (or two) remote probes with it (Oregon Scientific makes a few models to pick from) and keep the receiver where you can see it. I have a couple of those in my setup right now. One sensor is outside, the other two are in different parts of the basement. Lets me see what the unfinished, and finished, room temperatures are without leaving the office/den.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #30
seth8530
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddiggie View Post
ime/imo, keeping it under 100-110f is far better. It's perfectly fine to have chunks in your must. Especially if the honey you're using has gone to crystal. You can use a warm water bath to get the honey more fluid, while in bucket. I actually have a bucket of honey that i need to do that with, before mixing up another batch.

Keep an eye on the temperature your mead is fermenting at too. You want to keep it within the range of the yeast. Ime, try to keep it in the lower end of the range. It will take longer to ferment, but i like what goes to glass better that way. Depending on where you are that could mean either a swamp cooler, fermentation chamber, or fitting the fermenter with a heat source. With cooler weather coming along, i have a heating pad on the side of my mead fermenting keg. I'm looking to keep it in the mid 70's since the yeast has a fermentation temperature range of 68-86f. It gets real sluggish below about 65f.

I would also advise looking at the forums on the got mead? Site for information/advice on making mead.
+1

Quick Reply