Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > new to mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
ivegotabike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I work in a 4 star pizza place and I'm addicted to age brewing beer and
I am very interested in making a nice mead. My restaurant is willing to let me buy a case of their pure clover honey for relatively cheap 30 pounds for 105 dollars. So 2 questions a) is this a good deal and is clover honey as good as the organic honey at the local whole foods store and b) what kind of recipe should I use with 30 pounds of honey obviously I would want to do a five gallon batch. I'm a mead virgin and I want to try it at least a few times. Please any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotabike View Post
So I work in a 4 star pizza place and I'm addicted to age brewing beer and
I am very interested in making a nice mead. My restaurant is willing to let me buy a case of their pure clover honey for relatively cheap 30 pounds for 105 dollars. So 2 questions a) is this a good deal and is clover honey as good as the organic honey at the local whole foods store and b) what kind of recipe should I use with 30 pounds of honey obviously I would want to do a five gallon batch. I'm a mead virgin and I want to try it at least a few times. Please any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!
Well I can't say about price, not being in the US, but looking at the Beefolks range of 5 gallon buckets, It looks like a reasonable price, but to quote the saying "your mead, is only as good as the honey". It's likely that they just use stuff that's blended with a view to eating/cooking. If you can get some, then raw honey will retain much more of the aromatics and more subtle flavour volatiles that tends to get processed out of the stuff that is sold for restaurant/commercial use.

Now if you're thinking of melomels/cyser/pyment etc i.e. brews with a fruit ingredient, the quality is a bit less important, because the fruit is usually the focus of the flavour.

I'd point you toward the Gotmead "NewBee" guide, as it's excellent for the new mead maker and answers most of the initial questions you might have.

If you can find a local liquor store that stocks meads, then that's one place to try the commercial offerings, or maybe if your state allows, mail order some in. There are a number of people over at Gotmead, that are professional producers that may be able to ship or have a supplier closer to you (shipping is, as I understand it, a bit of a pain in the US as there's the federal regs, as well as the differing state regs to contend with, and some of those regs are just plain stupid......)

Dunno if any of that is helpful or not.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
ivegotabike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Well I can't say about price, not being in the US, but looking at the Beefolks range of 5 gallon buckets, It looks like a reasonable price, but to quote the saying "your mead, is only as good as the honey". It's likely that they just use stuff that's blended with a view to eating/cooking. If you can get some, then raw honey will retain much more of the aromatics and more subtle flavour volatiles that tends to get processed out of the stuff that is sold for restaurant/commercial use.

Now if you're thinking of melomels/cyser/pyment etc i.e. brews with a fruit ingredient, the quality is a bit less important, because the fruit is usually the focus of the flavour.

I'd point you toward the Gotmead "NewBee" guide, as it's excellent for the new mead maker and answers most of the initial questions you might have.

If you can find a local liquor store that stocks meads, then that's one place to try the commercial offerings, or maybe if your state allows, mail order some in. There are a number of people over at Gotmead, that are professional producers that may be able to ship or have a supplier closer to you (shipping is, as I understand it, a bit of a pain in the US as there's the federal regs, as well as the differing state regs to contend with, and some of those regs are just plain stupid......)

Dunno if any of that is helpful or not.......
Thank you so much for the point in the right direction. I've been looking through the links all morning. I guess you're right. If I did buy this honey I would make a melomel. And the raw honey at the store would be better for mead. Thank you for your help. This website has guided me through all my question on mead making.

Quick Reply