Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > New To Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

My suggestion is to look for honey locally. Many places have an apriary (beekeeper) or a farm or honey company close. If you are anywhere near Denver, CO then I recomend Madahava's. If you get it in bulk and explain to them you are making mead you may be able to talk them into giving you wholesale prices. I get mine in 42 pound buckets for close to $2.00 a pound for both clover and alfapha honey. Great Quality honey. Your best bet is not to buy from online, or a grocery store. Even Sams Club or Costco is going to be expensive for low quality honey. I highly recomend checking out your area for local sources, most times they will give you a deal. Also, Many Farmer's Markets will up the price for varietal honeys and even buying in bulk is at too high of prices. I am sure you can find some great honey closer than you think.

For yeasts, I prefer Lavin D-47. Nice clean fermentation and it complements most fruit meads. I also have never had a problem with stuck fermentation. It may take 6-12 months to age properly after clear but ooohh it's so good once done. Also, don't for get to get some oak chips/cubes and put those in at end of fermentation for about 2 weeks. You only need an ounce of it and even lightly toasted oak will make ohh so smooth once it's done aging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply