HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Need chili pepper mead help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
DougBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Need chili pepper mead help

I've been making chili pepper mead for quite some time. I never had luck with fermenting the chilies at the beginning so I've been adding it at the end with good results -- i.e. I'm pleased with the flavor. The problem is that the various types of chili additions -- powdered, liquid mixes (Tabasco, etc.) -- tend to settle out at the bottom and the bottle has to be tipped back and forth a few times before serving. One thing I've not tired yet is using fresh chilies (maybe whole?) poking them into the secondary and fishing them out after an amount of time based on tastings. Any tips or comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

So you want to have the sediment stirred up in your bottles??
Are you wanting clear mead with no sediment?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
SafariBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always use fresh chilies in the secondary. If I want more heat, I will leave the seeds in as this is where most of the capcasin [sp?] is located. If I want more chili flavor I remove the seeds.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." -Robert A. Heinlein

- .... .- - / .. ... / .- .-.. .-..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've not yet done a capsumel myself, but based on experience with my chipotle stout, adding roughly chopped dried peppers (in a muslin bag for ease of removal) in secondary is the way to go. I do also add some in near the end of the boil, but this is less relevant to mead...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Seems like diced/pureed fresh chilis ought to work, though I haven't tried this myself.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Hatchbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I made a small batch of Chile Beer, and just sampled it a couple days ago. I used dried mulato chiles in the fermentor for four days. Toasted it prior to addition, gave a amazing chile flavor and a fun mouthfeel to it, it finishes really quickly though, so next time I'll add a new chile in everyday while swapping out the old one.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
DougBrown
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks folks. I think I'll try the fresh chilies and just be careful.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
fatbloke
Complete nugget!

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBrown View Post
Thanks folks. I think I'll try the fresh chilies and just be careful.
Fresh chilli should just have the top stalk removed and then chopped, but not too finely as it's possible to get some bitterness from chopped up seeds.

The capsaicin is easily extracted if the chilli is added after the ferment, as it's a "fatty alkaloid" and is easily dissolved in the alcohol element.

Also, contrary to popular myth, the highest levels of capsaicin aren't in the seeds, it's highest in the "umbilical" i.e. the white connective tissue between the seeds and the fruity part of the skin/flesh.

Use caution though, it's easy to add more, but if you over do it, it's hard to remove excessive amounts (dilution etc, is about the only way, unless you happen to own your own chem lab.....)

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

All you need to do is cut up your peppers and drop them in when before you pitch your yeast. I just tasted some Habenero Mead that we made during my big barleywine and mead brew day in September.

All we did was slice one or two up and drop the pieces in.

He did a gallon seeded and one with the seeds left in, and the ones with the seeds removed was less hotter and a little more "fruity" tasting. It's not my scene, it was fun to taste but it was pretty much a novelty. I couldn't see myself drinking more than an ounce or so straight. It's a nice novelty but unless it was mixed in a mixed drink or something, it's not something I would drink a lot of.

8 months later we opened a few to share on natl homebrew day, and it was a huge hit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Revvy, was that one de-seeded habenero in a one gallon batch?
I have my own scotch bonnets and am tempted to do one of these as a test at somepoint. Would you recomment less chilli that that, half maybe?

Quick Reply