Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My1st batch... is it already screwed up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #21
heyvail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With that much honey it takes awhile for the yeast to get going. Next time try adding the honey in increments once a week to get the final 16 lbs. Something like starting with 10lbs and every week after add 2lbs. That doesn't overwhelm the yeast and decreases it's lag time. As you say, patience!!!!!! And I don't think yeast in the freezer is good, fridge yes.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
zonchar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyvail View Post
With that much honey it takes awhile for the yeast to get going. Next time try adding the honey in increments once a week to get the final 16 lbs. Something like starting with 10lbs and every week after add 2lbs. That doesn't overwhelm the yeast and decreases it's lag time. As you say, patience!!!!!! And I don't think yeast in the freezer is good, fridge yes.
i keeping on kicking myself for that one cause they arrived in the mail and i was all excited Yay! i can start brewing pulling out the thing with the icepack still in bubble wrap and just tossed them into the freezer. and didn't think twice about it until i pulled them out to pitch.
and I'm not even blonde!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyvail View Post
With that much honey it takes awhile for the yeast to get going...
Sorry, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with that notion...

Adding 16 lbs of honey to 4 gallons of water only creates a must whose OG is ~1.106. Virtually, every mead I make has an OG over 1.100. In my experience, unless the OG is above 1.130, no special treatment is needed to ensure fermentation starts within 8-24 hours of pitching the yeast.

Only once have I had to take special care of a mead, and that mead had a 1.170 OG.

To achieve this success, I adhere to these standard practices:
  • Pitch properly rehydrated (w/ Go-Ferm), dry yeast
  • Add staggered nutrients
  • Add no acid to the must in any form before fermentation is complete
  • Use 5g potassium bicarbonate/carbonate per 5 gal batch
  • Ensure the fermentation area ambient temperature is above 65°F

Old 12-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #24
zonchar
Recipes 

the only thing that i really got various suggestion on was how to add the green tea to must. One person suggested that i only toss the bags into after the 1st racking at the last month of the in carboy fermentation.
The other suggestion which is what i will be following: add the green tea to must on stove 15 min prior to turning it off and then every time i rack and loose some of the liquid it was suggested i brew green tea and add that to fill the carboy back up. This is to prevent the overwhelming bitterness that the green tea can have.
Also i do not use any chemical components, only natural stuff.

Quick Reply