Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My1st batch... is it already screwed up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
BrewinJack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wait a minute wait a minute....you have 5 gallons of water and you put in 16 gallons of honey?

I hope you mean 16 pounds... mainley because that would be about 3 1/5 pounds per gallon of water and youd be alright... and you would have only spent about 50 dallors on honey... but if you put it 16 gallons your OG in through the fuggin roof, hell it would be a fuggin sky scraper its gonna be like 3.00 not 1.030 but 3.00 which means it would never ferment... if it is 16 gallons you put in 3 1/5 gallons per gallon which would be sicne a gallon of honey weights 12 pounds then you put in over 36 pounds of honey per gallon of water... i hope you put in 16 pounds and not 16 gallons... in that case you may still have a slightly too high OG which will take time to start or you may have to divide your batch in half and see if it starts on its own or repinch your yeast

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonchar View Post
Also I kept my yeast in the freezer not the fridge, I did defrost them (on their own) before putting them in.
I've never done a mead before, But I'm assuming this is the problem...

Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

By cooked it, you mean the honey or both the honey water and Yeast? If the temp of the yeast goes over 90 degrees or so it dies. You may have some dead yeast, in which case the solotion is to just pitch some new yeast. I recomend taking some of the must into a cup and putting the yeast in that for 15 min to an hour before tossing it, should foam up nicely before you toss.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
zonchar
Recipes 

ooops... yeah.... 16lbs of honey for 4 gallons of water

I'm just worried that me freezing the yeast was a problem

Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
zonchar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
By cooked it, you mean the honey or both the honey water and Yeast? If the temp of the yeast goes over 90 degrees or so it dies. You may have some dead yeast, in which case the solotion is to just pitch some new yeast. I recomend taking some of the must into a cup and putting the yeast in that for 15 min to an hour before tossing it, should foam up nicely before you toss.
I didn't cook the yeast I added them in once the whole thing cooled down to room temp.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Never used liquid yeast, so I am not sure how bad the freezer treated them. If it doesn't start fermenting within 72 hours of pitching, then start worrying. And by worrying, I of course mean start driving to the LHBS to pick up a packet of dry yeast. Pitch the dry yeast and you out to be fine.

Oh and of course he meant 16 lbs, he gave us a picture. If he managed to put 16 gals of honey and 4 or 5 gals into a carboy, he would have the biggest carboy I've ever heard of... haha

Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
zonchar
Recipes 

LOL
actually there was this Guy in NJ giving away 14 gallon Carboys/ bottle things for $30 on ebay.
Thank you so much for all the advice and support I'll let you know what happens in the next couple of days

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #18
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I agree with the rest too...I don't think I would have frozen a liquid yeast. wait another day yet..and if still no activity...get a packet or 2 of dry yeast...rehydrate according to the pack directions and pitch it in...that should get it going.

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

+1 on flyweed,
I would rock the carboy to shake things up, give it five days to get it's act together.
What is floating around is most likely "yeasty / things" settling in on the tea and other items added. I don't think the yeast are dead, but highly challenged, that is a pretty high OG must, with thawed frozen yeast.
Now this is a true test of how resistant and vibrant commercial versions of yeast are.
Please keep us posted on how it goes, mostly because I thought I used and abused my yeast, this makes me look good!

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
zonchar
Recipes 

Lol

Well here is an update: there was foam for the first 2 days now the foam is gone, but the airlock is bubbling every 3 to 4 sec, atleast in 1 Mississippi counts it is. and there are little bubbles rising to the top. So as far as i can tell it's doing something. I'll wait an see.
*learning patience*

Quick Reply