Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My recipe good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #1
Emperor-Tiber-Septim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My recipe good or bad?

Ok so I have been brewing for sometime now and wanted to try my hand at some mead. I came up with a recipe and make a one gallon batch. I never made mead so I want to know if my idea for this recipe a good one.
So here it is.

2 lbs of honey
3 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of raisins
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp of Ginger
5 Cloves
1 whole vanilla Bean
Champagne yeast

Ok so what do y'all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #2
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Drop the brown sugar, not needed in a mead, add more honey and some yeast nutrients. The ground up spices can be hard to get to settle, you can use whole pieces of cinnamon and crush up some fresh ginger, might want to start with like 2 cloves at first, they are strong, you can always add more in the secondary, you dont need to cook the honey. WVMJ

Old Today, 08:22 AM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 781 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

I'm guessing this is for a 1 gallon batch. I'd go with 3lbs honey, no need to heat it, just heat the water to get it to mix easier. Drop the brown sugar. Use yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & DAP (diammonium phosphate) for a good, healthy yeast population; just follow the directions on the packages.

Save those spices for secondary. Primary with champagne yeast will blow a lot of those flavours out. In a 1 gallon batch I'd use one 4 inch stick of cinnamon, 1 clove and a thumb sized piece of fresh (peeled) ginger. Avoid using powdered spices as they are messy and impossible to remove without filtration, unless you make a sort of teabag to contain them.

Adding the spice in secondary will give you more flavour from those spices & a more true flavour from them. You'll need to do taste tests periodically so you know when your desired level of flavour from the spices has been reached. Once it gets to where you want it, remove the spices. You can just put them in a hop sack weigh it down with a couple of sanitized marbles. If you tie a piece of fishing line to it & let the other end hang out the top with the bung holding it in place, it's really easy to pull it out later. Be sure to split the vanilla bean lengthwise before adding to the must, add the pulp from the inside too. You might want to go with 2 vanilla beans, as the vanilla flavour tends to fade over time. The longer the spices stay in the must, the more spice flavour will be imparted.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply