Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My Primary Fermentor for Mead is a:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

So you picked up specialized hardware/equipment to pull your mead from a carboy in the basement to the first floow. Never mind having a one hit wonder on your hands. You also have something else to have to sanitize before using and clean after, including how many extra feet of hose? You can keep it.
With my setup, I just use a CO2 regulator (and source) that I already have, and can use for more things. The only items that are really dedicated to the vessels are the fittings and cut dip tubes. But, those are beyond easy to clean, sanitize, and store. No cutting of the floor needed either.

Do as you like, feed your neurosis as you must, I don't have that issue. I can tell things are going on inside my fermenting vessels simply by airlock movements and the temperature sensors inside (thermowell in the top fitting). When it's gone back down to ambient, I know it's done fermenting. Seeing an increase in temp also lets me know when things are getting going (at the start) long before the airlock starts moving. Keeping the yeast in the dark makes them work better for me. Plus, they don't get blinded by any glare coming off my dome. Been known to bring down commercial jets on a bright day, after just shaving.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You dont have to sanatize a vacum pump, the mead only goes through 1 tube, there is a valve to protect the pump, no need to clean anything except one hose. Implosion possibilities are always an issue that needs to be made aware of. I am not sure how enjoying being with your wine is nerotic, but if thats crazy then count me in Have you evern accidentally shot yourself with your beergun, like when you sampled a bit to much at bottling time WVMJ

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
You dont have to sanatize a vacum pump, the mead only goes through 1 tube, there is a valve to protect the pump, no need to clean anything except one hose. Implosion possibilities are always an issue that needs to be made aware of. I am not sure how enjoying being with your wine is nerotic, but if thats crazy then count me in
So not only did you have to put a hole in the floor to use the pump, but you also have to worry about the vessel it's pulling from imploding. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. With a CO2 push, I control the flow rate with the regulator on the CO2 source. Normally using only a couple of PSI of pressure does the job.

Also, 'being with your wine' just sounds so wrong I can't go into it... I don't need to have full carnal knowledge of my mead in order to feel secure. Oh, and yes, you ARE crazy... BobbiLynn has already called the men in the white truck to come and get you.

Quote:
Have you evern accidentally shot yourself with your beergun, like when you sampled a bit to much at bottling time WVMJ
No, because I know how to use it... I usually wait until I've collected all I'm going to, for bottles, then take the last of the batch and sample from that. Usually, that's less than a bottle worth anyway (I normally use 375ml bottles).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #24
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am learning the differences in how winemakers approach meadmaking and how beer makers do the same steps. With a vacum pump its also easy to degass anytime I want. I dont have a hole in the floor, I am only allowed to bottle in the basement after the lineoleum accident. I am going to filter a black raspberry melomel tommorow, another piece of winemaking equipment that makes things really easy and produces a truly clear mead. I have watched this mead develop over the whole year in its cozy little glass house. When they come to get me I will share a bottle of my blackberry melomel and show them what a beautiful sight it is, you have even encouraged me to put in some backlighting so I can see them all every night before bedtime WVMJ

Quick Reply