*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My New Mead Method
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
johnnychicago
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chi-Town, IL
Posts: 24
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My New Mead Method

I'm trying out a new way of making 1 gallon batches of mead. Rather than messing with sanitation and transfers initially, I am using the below method:



I clean and sanitize a 5L flask, then fill with 3lb of honey, yeast nutrient and enough water to reach 4L. I then heat it to 150F for 45 min. to kill the nasties and keep the stir plate going to stir and aerate the must. I let it cool to pitching temps then pitch a packet of Nottingham dry yeast right into the flask!

After six weeks of fermentation at 60F, I'll siphon into a 1 gallon jug, leaving behind the yeast cake and let it condition until kegging time.

This particular mead is a gallberry honey mead that I'll infuse with some Very Berry white tea from Teavana.

Anyone see any potential problems with this method?

__________________
johnnychicago is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnychicago View Post
I'm trying out a new way of making 1 gallon batches of mead. Rather than messing with sanitation and transfers initially, I am using the below method:

I clean and sanitize a 5L flask, then fill with 3lb of honey, yeast nutrient and enough water to reach 4L. I then heat it to 150F for 45 min. to kill the nasties and keep the stir plate going to stir and aerate the must. I let it cool to pitching temps then pitch a packet of Nottingham dry yeast right into the flask!

After six weeks of fermentation at 60F, I'll siphon into a 1 gallon jug, leaving behind the yeast cake and let it condition until kegging time.

This particular mead is a gallberry honey mead that I'll infuse with some Very Berry white tea from Teavana.

Anyone see any potential problems with this method?
Nope, I'm sure the pasteurization could change the flavor profile a bit. That's an impressive flask and stir plate.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,664
Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Nope, I'm sure the pasteurization could change the flavor profile a bit. That's an impressive flask and stir plate.
Spot on with that. I wouldn't pasteurise anything that doesn't need it and honey doesn't. It's already as sanitised as nature can make it.

The stir plate sounds like a better quality heating version. I just got an old home brewing version that just spins, it doesn't have any speed control or anything like that, but I got a 5000ml erhlenmeyer flask off ebay but I'll have to get some 40mm bungs for it.

Ha! if my inaugural stir plate batch is a success, then I'll probably start looking for something better, as it'd be excellent if I could make 5 gallon batches like that.........
__________________

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

fatbloke is offline
Photobond Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
johnnychicago
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chi-Town, IL
Posts: 24
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Yeah, the honey is fine I'm sure. It's more for the water, stir bar, and nutrients. Coming from a brewing background instead of a wine background has made me pretty anal about sanitation. I figure the If I keep it below the steam release heat point, I shouldn't be blowing off too much of the delicate aromas.

__________________
johnnychicago is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,664
Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnychicago View Post
Yeah, the honey is fine I'm sure. It's more for the water, stir bar, and nutrients. Coming from a brewing background instead of a wine background has made me pretty anal about sanitation. I figure the If I keep it below the steam release heat point, I shouldn't be blowing off too much of the delicate aromas.
Yes it will. Honey is already one of, if not the most hygienic substances in nature.

The primary ferment action will sort out pretty much any spoilage organisms and the like.

Good picture though, with nice kit (laser thermometer.....nice).

Stir plate use isn't particularly new just that most people don't use them probably for cost reasons.
__________________

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

fatbloke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
VCTFernandes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 62
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

This makes me wonder:

Is magnetic stirring a good aeration technique? Can it be used in, let's say, a 1 gallon jug?

__________________
VCTFernandes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
johnnychicago
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chi-Town, IL
Posts: 24
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

magnetic stirring is a very good aeration technique. I haven't used oxygen at pitching since I started using the stir plate. I do, however pitch some of the starter (not all, but some). As far as working for a 1 gal. jug, that would entirely depend on whether the bottom of the jug is flat or not.

__________________
johnnychicago is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,084
Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

I just got a battery powered milk frother at IKEA for 3 bucks. I cant wait to aerate something! And its even thin enough to fit in a 1 gallon Carboy.

__________________

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

MarshmallowBlue is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling mead - Caps vs Corking mead - either method superior? WinsomeLass Mead Forum 29 05-23-2013 07:22 PM
looking for an Agave/Tequila mead and a lemon/lime citrus mead. MidTNJasonF Mead Forum 7 02-08-2013 12:27 AM
Stark Raven Mead (burnt honey mead attempt) machinelf Mead Forum 61 01-25-2013 02:29 PM
What is the method for adding anything to mead without infecting it? tenchu_11 Mead Forum 1 08-02-2010 01:35 PM
Mead newbie question: how to make a bottle conditioned, sweet, sparkling mead? weirdboy Mead Forum 36 05-28-2010 06:24 AM