New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My mead is too Bitter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
USMC6590
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My mead is too Bitter.

I've made a few batches of mead and a batch of hard cider now. But a batch of Raspberry mead I made has come out too bitter. I cant remember my recipe i used for it but i'm sure I could find it after I dig through the mountains of notes I have, but the only thing different I've done with this batch was add raspberries, my other ones turned out fine. Any Ideas? It fermented for about two months, 1st and 2nd stage, and I've had it age for about 3 months, so it's still pretty young. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Vansaar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

I'm still new to mead making myself, but i have read that berries that have seeds can sometimes make a bitter taste. It's almost better to freeze them, then thaw, and crush them for the juice than to use fresh or seeded berries. Hopfully some one more experienced might shed a bit more light.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
IJesusChrist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have the same problem... I have made a 3lb/gallon batch of mead with only spices and a FULL orange.

When I read "Full orange" I thought it meant the entire orange, thrown in. So I did that, and poke some holes in it. Orange peels are bitter...

Anyway, I've heard that once a batch is bitter it can take up to a year (or even more) for it to go away. Mine is only about 45 days old, so I have a lot of waiting to do.

The thing I CAN say about yours though is many berries, unless completely broken down and mushy, contain a lot of tannins. As the brew ferments (i.e. loses sugar) the tannins remain constant. So what you're tasting is the absence of all the sugars and the uncovering of all the tannins.

However this cannot possibly account for the total bitterness of yours (and mine) so I'd like to know what process yeast (or perhaps a contamination) does to make something bitter. . .

And how the heck does it dissipate with time...?
1st post!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
fatbloke
Complete nugget!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Well there's little point in posting moans.....

We can't try to assist without full recipes and method/technique.

If you post those we may be able to help/diagnose.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, I agree with Fatbloke. If need be, add some more honey until it leaves some residual sugars to cover the bitterness. After that, the best you can probably do is wait.

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Quick Reply