Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > my mead tastes bad, will it get better?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
rycov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default my mead tastes bad, will it get better?

hey. this was/is my first mead attempt. usually i brew beer, but i wanted to try the prickly pear recipe from the joy of home brewing. he said use 20 lbs. of honey and if too sweet make a batch with 14 and blend. i wanted it to not be too sweet so i just used 16lbs. it fermented for a few months before it stopped bubbling then i cleared it with sparkalloid. and bottled. now i know he said to age it, but i tasted it when i bottled and it sucked. im wondering if it will get better after a year.(and how much better) it didn't seem to be infected.nothing weird looking. its really clear, and has a beautiful pinky orangeish color. it doesnt taste like it has any nasty bacteria in it. it just tastes like fermentation. not in a good way. its not undrinkable, but its also not fun to drink. i was bummed because he made it sound delicious. will aging it take out the harsh fermentation flavors? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm a noob, so you want to take this with a grain of salt.

My understanding is meads NEED a looong time to condition. I did a batch back in May, and when I bottled it this fall it was still VERY hot and alcohol burn/taste was way up front. My friend brought over a 2 year old bottle, and it was smooth and mellow, a kin to a very decent white wine. Age makes all the difference IMO.

These flavors need time to mollow and blend, I bet after a year you wont believe it was from the same batch.

Drinking 'merc

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm no exper, but I've done meads using a staggered nutrient addition that were drinkable at bottling time. Two or three months improved them and at a year they were even better. Time can help quite a bit with meads.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

thank you thank you. yeah. i knew that people aged them a long time. i just haven't done any mead yet so i wasn't sure how much it would help. i guess i don't really have anything to loose by waiting. i dont have to do anything. theyre just sitting there. it just was disappointing when it didnt really taste good at all at bottling time. since they're ageing in wine bottles should they be kept on they're side like wine? so the liquid keeps the cork wet?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

need more info.

recipe, starting gravity, final gravity, yeast used, dates between pitching and bottling, fermenting temps, any nutrients added, when it was racked, etc.

With 16# of honey, this thing could taste like diesel fuel.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree w/ jezter that there are a *lot* of variables that influence taste, and can cause some off flavors...Bottom line though: Yes, aging mead is a very good way to smooth out off flavors, although some can take quite a while. (As I recall, Papazian talks about burying bottles of his prickly pear mead to age for 10 years or more!) But what Shooter says is equally true...with good nutrient additions, proper pitch rates and control of fermentation temps, a mead can be very good pretty early on (something I didn't fully believe until I finally was talked into trying SNA!)

Whatever you do, don't dump it...put it in the corner of the basement and forget it for a good long while.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
PhotoKirk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mead needs time. Mine was terrible at 6 months, but very tasty at 1 year. I'm saving one bottle to try at the 2-year mark.

Beer - the cure for what ales you.

Primary: empty :(
Secondary: empty :(

Old 12-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it's been a long time, but you might be of another class... those of us who don't like mead, it would be good for you if you do, but there is that possibility

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Once I go above 14% or so I don't even think about tasting it until a year at least.
Usually two years with a good seal on the cork, will produce something fantastic, when it tasted like rocket fuel at bottling.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Mead takes time, a lot of time, to be tasty. My meads/melomels usually taste terrible for 1.5 yrs, but then they start to get good; some take even longer. The higher the ABV, the longer it needs to age. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply