Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My First Meads (Orange Blossom / Bochet)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just racked over the bochet mead tonight and the gravity reading was 1.028, which is roughly 14.32% abv. Very strong alcohol notes and not much of an aroma right now but you could definitely taste some caramel flavors hiding behind the alcohol. I'm very interested in tasting this in another few months when I rack it again.

My orange blossom mead is strangely still fermenting. It's been 2 months to the day and I still see active yeast on the surface and it is still bubbling. It is also still very cloudy and there is very little yeast cake on the bottom of the carboy. In anyone else's experience, how long does fermentation last for montrachet yeast in a high gravity mead? I read somewhere it would finish anywhere between 30 and 90 days, so this seems to be pushing the latter. I figure I'll leave it be for another month and take a gravity sample at that point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well it's been 9 months since I made my 5 gallon batch of bochet, and it's been about 6 months since I last racked and tasted it. This racking I'm going to add in the french oak cubes but I'm unclear of how much to start off with since it's my first time adding oak to anything. What would you all suggest is a good starting point? I definitely don't want to over oak it, but I have 4 ounces and I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 ounces and oaking for a month or so. What do you all think?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman20
Well it's been 9 months since I made my 5 gallon batch of bochet, and it's been about 6 months since I last racked and tasted it. This racking I'm going to add in the french oak cubes but I'm unclear of how much to start off with since it's my first time adding oak to anything. What would you all suggest is a good starting point? I definitely don't want to over oak it, but I have 4 ounces and I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 ounces and oaking for a month or so. What do you all think?
I've always had good luck with 2oz in a 4-5 gallon batch, tasting it about once a week and then racking off the cubes when it hits the right amount of oakyness

Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm with brewingmedic.. a month may be too long. I plan on adding just under an oz to my 3 gal batch and will probably only let it sit on oak for a week.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I wound up adding an ounce of the french oak cubes and I'll be tasting it weekly. It's been 6 months since I last tasted it and it's definitely getting better. It's developing almost a nice port like taste and the alcohol heat has gone down considerably, and it's developing a nice caramel-honey aroma. I think the oak will compliment this very nicely.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well after adding the 1 ounce of french oak, I tasted it after a month and there was hardly any flavor difference at all. I think that 1 ounce to a normal, lighter flavored honey batch would suffice but the strong burnt, nutty, caramel notes of a bochet dominate much more than a normal mead. I added 1 more ounce of oak and tasted again yesterday after 2 solid months of oaking and WOW was all I could say. It tastes awesome. You can definitely taste the oak and it adds everything that the mead was missing before. Personally I want just a little more oak than it has now, so I will be giving it one more month before letting it age out for another 6 months to a year before I bottle.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well I've started to bottle my mead. Got some no chip dip "wax" from etched images online and did a yellow Maker's Mark style wax job that I must say turned out really well and threw on a label I made up in photoshop elements which came out pretty well for my first label. I'm thinking of getting some glossy label paper to do some in too. I'd say these bottles are ready for some long term aging. As well as look pretty sweet. lol

mead.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Fathand
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Very cool looking!

Quick Reply