Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My first mead, two months later

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My first mead, two months later

Hey mead people! I did a batch of the Joe's ancient orange on July 24th. I waited long enough that the batch was nice and clear, and all the oranges but one had even sunk to the bottom. I wanted an excuse to use my mini siphon and to try the mead at this stage, so we racked it to another 1 gallon jug this weekend and had a taste.

It's pretty tasty, but I would describe it as a little "hot" - kind of like a big beer at a young age before it has matured. That being said, I want to age this batch for a while longer before I bottle or drink the rest & I had a question about storage temperature.

Would I be better off keeping this at room temperature for aging, or is cooler better? My chest freezer that I use for kegging beer stays at 44°F.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

You can keep it at room temp and it will mature faster. At about 9 months of age, it really start to smooth out.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs
Hey mead people! I did a batch of the Joe's ancient orange on July 24th. I waited long enough that the batch was nice and clear, and all the oranges but one had even sunk to the bottom. I wanted an excuse to use my mini siphon and to try the mead at this stage, so we racked it to another 1 gallon jug this weekend and had a taste.

It's pretty tasty, but I would describe it as a little "hot" - kind of like a big beer at a young age before it has matured. That being said, I want to age this batch for a while longer before I bottle or drink the rest & I had a question about storage temperature.

Would I be better off keeping this at room temperature for aging, or is cooler better? My chest freezer that I use for kegging beer stays at 44°F.

Thanks!
Just had a glass of this with a buddy... not so hot anymore! Also had a glass of his with no spices.. just honey yeast and water & it was fantastic!

Quick Reply