Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My first mead is in the carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
ctalbot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

All that worry about lack of fermentation was apparently for no good reason. I just poked my head into the storage room, and it's begun. The airlock doesn't have a lot of activity, but it's definitely got some going on now.

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #12
Moonpile

Recipes 

Awesome! Now you're in for a wild ride.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
ctalbot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpile
Awesome! Now you're in for a wild ride.
...and a long wait, no doubt.

Thanks again for all your comments. I've made a list of things to do differently/better next time.

Chris

Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Moonpile

Recipes 

With this batch, you're almost guaranteed to have something wonderful that you couldn't just go out and buy.

I feel I need to clarify that some great mead makers do boil or pasturize. I personally have bought into the no-boil philosophy, but my experience is limited to three five gallon batches using that method, two of which I've tasted (and they were great, the other one has only been fermenting three weeks) and two or three one gallon batches ten+ years ago where I boiled (and they were great too).

It's not a settled issue, so I encourage you to read about it and make up your own mind.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
ctalbot
Recipes 

I finally bottled the mead last night, and I was disappointed with the results. It's not terrible, but it ended up very dry instead of slightly sweet (I'd hoped for some sweetness).

It ended up at ~12.5% ABV with a FG of 0.994 (which may have been slightly off because the mead was probably a couple of degrees below room temperature). The OG was 1.094, although that was an estimation because my hydrometer doesn't go any higher than 1.090.

The mead stayed in primary for over two months, but it had stopped fermenting after about a month. I left it in secondary for a little over two months and then siphoned into a tertiary (the sediment in the bottle of the secondary was a grey-ish brown, probably from the cinnamon sticks in the boil). It sat in tertiary for a little over a month. In total, it's been about six months since the day I made it.

The mead has a light honey aroma, with no hint of the cinnamon, but the taste is actually the other way around. It takes more like a dry white wine, with not really much of a honey taste, but with a very slight hint of cinnamon.

Back when I made the mead, I understood nothing about yeast, and I just assumed all yeasts were essentially the same. I'm still no expert on yeasts, but I at least know a bit more. I checked into the yeast I used, and apparently it's for making dry wines, which explains why the mead had such a low FG and came out dry.

With what I've learned, I'm going to make a full 19L batch of mead (no cinnamon or other adjuncts this time). I've acquired a couple of packages of Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead yeast, so I'm going to use that instead of wine yeast and about 6kg (~13 lbs.) of clover honey.

Chris

Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The #1 thing that I've learned here, is that unless you spend 6 or 8 months reading, you will do something wrong with your first batch ( I boiled the hell out of my first and used bread yeast). The important part is that you are doing it. Your mead will definitely get better. I want to hear from you in November. I also encourage you to keep going. Get 1 or 3 or 6 or 8 or 10 batches going. Try different things, different yeast, different ways of preparing your must.
Anyway, Glad to hear that the cinnamon survived a little. Do you think it will get stronger with age, or weaker?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
ctalbot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Anyway, Glad to hear that the cinnamon survived a little. Do you think it will get stronger with age, or weaker?
I'm not sure, but I'm hoping with some aging, everything about the mead will improve.

Chris

Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #18
ctalbot
Recipes 

Upon further tasting, I'd say the cinnamon isn't subtle. It's definitely evident. I think it actually needs to mellow a bit.

A few of the bottles will get opened and consumed over the summer, but I plan to put a few of them away for longer-term aging.

Chris

Quick Reply