Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My first mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Keln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yes, I am corking.

By storage I guess I meant enviromentally. Dark/light, moist/dry, warm/cool...etc.

Same as wine? Does light affect mead like it does beer?

That's what I meant by storage.

Primary: Empty
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cool dark basement should be fine.

I asked about corks, because they're supposed to lay down to keep the inside of the cork wet and expanded.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
BrewStef

Recipes 

Keln - RTFI.

Joe M, the author of that recipe, specifically states DO NOT TOUCH until it is done. No racking or anything.

Don't worry, don't touch, and wait for the full 3 months when it should be sufficiently cleared.

He mentions that it would be best to wait until the oranges drop to the bottom but that he has never waited that long himself...so I am not either.

Drink it when you like it.

Chill.

BrewStef

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Keln
Recipes 

Woah..hold the phone. I'm not even thinking of touching it right now!

I just mentioned it looks like it might be clearing already...so I am thinking about getting prepared for bottling so that I am ready when it's ready.

I didn't say anything about messing with it until then!

I was just wondering why so many recipies talk about having to add things to wines and other brews to prevent spoilage, yet this stuff calls for nothing. I'd like to save a bottle from my first batch for a while, so I am just concerned about long term storage of this stuff. I like to be prepared ahead of time.

I belive my quote was:

Quote:
I'm thinking I will leave it in at least another month before bottling just to stick to recipie.
It's been about a month now, and according to Joe's recipie, another month or so should do the trick. He says he doesn't wait for fruit to drop, but you can. I'll wait the two months unless the fruit drops before then. If the fruit drops in the next 2-3 weeks, I wanna have things ready just in case. From everything I have read about most brewing, most of it rarely sticks to exact schedule, so basically it's best to be ready ahead of time in case it is early, and have patience in case it's late.

At least that is what I have read..I have precious little experience at this point.

Primary: Empty
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
BrewStef

Recipes 

My understanding is that this is is not a mead designed to age a long time, though it may age just dandy. This recipe is designed for simplicity and to give the brewer/(vintner?/Meader? some self-confidence in the process.

I plan to keep a bottle or two around for a year just to see how it holds up (grolsch type).

This is not a "show mead" so clarity is not key, thefore finings are not necessary...it is designed to taste good, not necessarily be the queen of the ball.

Saying this, due to the scum and orange bits, you may wish to siphon the liquid to a bottling bucket using a fine mesh bag tied around the bottling bucket side to act as a filter (loose, so it does not clog).

Cheers.

BrewStef

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Quick Reply