Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Moving... what do to with the mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Now me ? I'd just say "what the hell" and get it racked "as is", just to remove the majority of the lees/sediment. If the secondary is a plastic bucket, then you're gonna have to be careful about moving it anyway as the greater surface area for liquid movement. If your secondary is going to be a glass carboy/demi-john, then rack it over as the tiny amount of open surface isn't going to cause any issues - the amount of airspace is going to be pretty minimal anyway so the % O2 is even less.

Don't forget, meads don't tend to suffer from oxidation like wines do.....

Though in glass, it's a case of being careful during the handling anyway.

So it's just a case of the how and when........ but it's still valid to re-remind you that it's easier to carry liquids when they're properly confined, than to have too much ullage space for the liquid to move in (yes, I drive trucks - 44 tonners and have done a lot of work with bulk liquids - and powders).

S'up to you.....

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have some experience with this, having moved myself this past May. The mead was already in secondary, but there was still a fair bit of yeast. It was in a glass carboy. I buckled it into the back seat of my car and surrounded it with pillows, blankets, and other soft items, and made sure to keep the sunlight off it. No problems!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #13
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There is this stuff called "wine saver" that you are supposed to spray into opened bottles of wine, I suspect this is Co2 or something, could I rack and then apply this?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
PSB
Recipes 

I will be going to through this same process in a couple months hopefully. I have a mead in secondary aging. It's been there for about 2 months at this point in time. I worry about the mead sloshing about without a good layer of CO2. Any suggestions?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
I will be going to through this same process in a couple months hopefully. I have a mead in secondary aging. It's been there for about 2 months at this point in time. I worry about the mead sloshing about without a good layer of CO2. Any suggestions?
Top off your carboy with CO2 and put an undrilled stopper in it. If it'll make you feel better, wrap teflon tape, plastic wrap, or whatever to secure it. I used teflon tape.

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I would not secure a fixed stopper with tape (or anything else) on a new mead. A little warming and a little late CO2 production from what you thought were dormant yeast can easily create an exploding carboy. They are not meant to hold pressure - better to keep an airlock on or allow a stopper to pop out.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Okay, okay, if the mead's still going when you're ready to move it, use a drilled stopper with airlock, but I still recommend securing it. Hit a pothole too hard and you could have a mess.

On-Deck:

Quick Reply