New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > More honey than I know what to do with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
kc_in_wv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default You are in the ballpark with your honey price.

For those who do not understand what they are buying the cut rate stuff works. If people only knew what they are buying when they are buying cutrate.

There are two national beekeeping magazines and each has a monthly report of regional prices of honey. Check out "American Bee Journal" and "Bee Culture".

The cost to keep bees is very high. I sell my materials at cost to myself (Yes I sell Bee Supplies) and only break even on my honey sales. That is at a price of $12 for quarts and 7 for 1 lb bottles.

What I smoke has a sting to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

hey folks, i was just saying what i pay around here. in no way, shape or form is the honey i am purchasing cut rate though. this is raw, local honey, usually clover or honey locust since i am making mead with it.
i also keep bees, and i have never found it to be very expensive at all. you can build the boxes easily, and frames are super cheap. i guess if you buy every last item, it could get pricey, but still, once you have purchased everything, (assuming you take proper care of it) they won't rot and you're all good for many many years. even the ross round unit i just purchased was only 60 bucks.
i have never bought bulk honey anywhere but around st louis, so i have no idea what other areas charge, but around here, it is usually ~30 bucks a gallon. i just paid 35 a gallon for super white honey locust honey. lightest colored honey i have ever seen, can't wait to make mead with it!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

I too buy quality unprocessed locally produced alfalfa honey in 4-gallon pails for $120.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
c10250
Recipes 

I got into bee keeping as a hobby. I'm not trying to make a profit. I feel that $5 per pound is reasonable.

Whether or not you think keeping bees is expensive or not, here are some of my initial costs:

Hive with bees, just back from California almond pollination - $150
Suit, smoker, hive bodies, supers, frames, book, cover, inner cover. . . , etc. $400.

Here's a basic entry-level kit for around $400

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1636&idCategory=

Bees are not easy to get through the winter. Diseases such as mites, colony collapse disorder, nosema, . . . etc. can really take their toll. In fact, the US average colony loss last winter was around 30%. So you have a 1 in 3 chance of losing your hive over the winter.

I don't know, but I wouldn't consider this a cheap hobby.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Nobody is arguing that you have every right to charge whatever you wish for your product. It's just that we, as consumers, have the right to shop around. I think that cheap Chinese honey is always a danger when buying from unknown sources and I'm a firm believer in buying local honey for just that reason. Fortunately, some of us live in areas where we can source quality honey for quite a bit less than in places where honey fetches premium prices.

The bottom line is that honey producers will remain in business until they decide it's no longer worth their time and effort and, in the meantime, honey will sell for whatever the market will bear.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
PantherCity
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mo Honey, Mo Problems

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
fatbloke
Complete nugget!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Plus it still doesn't matter how much you want to charge - it's still too bloody far! Bugger!

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
c10250
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Plus it still doesn't matter how much you want to charge - it's still too bloody far! Bugger!
Oh, I'm having no problem getting rid of it at $5. Plenty of you guys seem to think that's a deal, and I would have to agree after coming back from my farmer's market and seeing it go for as much as $10.

Last edited by c10250; 08-05-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCity View Post
Mo Honey, Mo Problems
as a beekeeper that was an impressionable youth during the 80-90's, i snarfed wine out of my nose at reading this!
thank you, and i hope you realize i am going to steal it and say it until my wife and friends force me to stop.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
frydogbrews
Recipes 

also, those kits are kind of a rip off, and you can just capture a swarm of bees for free. talk to your city or a local beekeeping club and they will put you on many swarms in early summer. may is swarm time around me.
mann lake has great stuff, but those kits have more than you really need.
i just don't want to stop anybody from keeping bees because they think it might be too expensive. plus, that 30% die off includes all the comercial, stressed out bees that collapse frequently. happy, backyard bees make it through winters are much higher rates than one out of 3. again, i don't want to turn anyone off beekeeping because they think their hives will die as soon as winter comes in.

Quick Reply