Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Moonlight's Desire mead.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
looneybomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Moonlight's Desire mead.

The recipe was posted in another thread, so I decided to use it for my very first mead.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...e-by-the-glass

So between the sticky FAQ and the thread above, I have a pretty good idea about how to make this, but I still have a few questions.

1) I don't have any Fermaid-k or GoFerm, but I do have LD Carlson yeast nutrient and energizer and Wyeast yeast nutrient. Will those work or should I get this other stuff?

2) It says combine honey and juices with enough water to make 5 gal (I'll be making a half batch just in case I ruin it). In the FAQ it says to heat water and add honey since it dissolves better. Do I heat the juice since I'm not using water?

3) It says to hydrate nutrient additions. Do I hydrate using boiling water?

4) Seriously, 3mo in primary and then rack to secondary for how long? How do you guys wait*so long? I thought beer was bad.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
looneybomber
Recipes 

Maybe direct a mead n00b to some reading where these answers are located? Thanks.

<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not nearly the experience of some, but:
1) Not familiar with them, but I would think they would work at least somewhat decent as Wyeast also makes mead yeast.
2) The heating is only to help it blend. I usually never have to heat mine as the honey I get is pretty fluid. If it is a little older honey I would try to heat the honey just enough to make it flow easily. Not too much.
3) No boiling water! I think the suggested temp is somewhere about 100-104.
4) 3 mo sounds long in the primary. Many finish up in 1 month. Take a gravity reading now and again in a few weeks. Once the reading is the same over several days and it has cleared well, you can rack to secondary. Secondary (and third or fourth racking) time can be anywhere from 9 mo to a couple years. Low Abv can be on the shorter end, but many recommend a longer time if you have a high Abv.

There are exceptions on #4. Some will let it clear more in the secondary and then rack to a tertiary.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
looneybomber
Recipes 

1) I'll see if I can find it in the FAQ's or another search.

2) I may try putting the honey containers in some hot water for a while then, just in case. That way I don't heat the juice and the honey will warm while staying sealed. Seems more sanitary that way.

3) So don't put the yeast nutrient in boiling water? Does it dissolve in such small amounts of room temp water before saturation? I find I can't get Wyeast nutrient for beer to dissolve fully in a glass of warm water.

4) 3mo is just what the article said from Moonlight. "Ferment at 62°F(16.7°C). Rack to a secondary vessel after three months."

Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

2) sounds like a plan.

3) reading comprehension on my part - I thought you said yeast, missed the "nutrients". I don't boil anything though.

3) A slow ferment could take 3 months. Just takes SG readings and watch to see how your mead is clearing.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
The recipe was posted in another thread, so I decided to use it for my very first mead.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...e-by-the-glass

So between the sticky FAQ and the thread above, I have a pretty good idea about how to make this, but I still have a few questions.

1) I don't have any Fermaid-k or GoFerm, but I do have LD Carlson yeast nutrient and energizer and Wyeast yeast nutrient. Will those work or should I get this other stuff?

2) It says combine honey and juices with enough water to make 5 gal (I'll be making a half batch just in case I ruin it). In the FAQ it says to heat water and add honey since it dissolves better. Do I heat the juice since I'm not using water?

3) It says to hydrate nutrient additions. Do I hydrate using boiling water?

4) Seriously, 3mo in primary and then rack to secondary for how long? How do you guys wait*so long? I thought beer was bad.

1: LD Carlson will work just fine, no worries.

2: I wouldn't heat the juice, room temp should work just fine. The only reason they say to heat the water is to make it easier to mix the honey. If it's just too tough to mix, warm up your honey & even your juice by filling your sink with hot tap water & place the containers in it to warm up; this works very well.

3: Use warm water & mix the powders in it well. This will prevent a mead eruption by eliminating nucleation points on the particals of powder & makes it easier to mix. Use water that you'veboiled (to sterilize) and allowed to cool. No need to actually boil the nutrient.

4: How long in secondary? That depends. If you have more than 1/2 inch of lees (sediment) on the bottom, it's usually time to rack. You'll also want it to clear, just give it time & it'll clear al by itself. As far as waiting, mead is all about time; if you want good mead, you'll have to wait. Gives to a reason to make more than 1 type of beverage.
Regards, GF.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The reason it can be left in primary so long is because you have no fruit solids, or others, to deal with. This is quite a common process when making an all liquid mead, no primary bucket just straight to carboy.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Photobond Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Beer IS bad....tasting. That's how I wait so long. My worst wine brew tastes better than your best beer brew, and it's more potent. One glass of my wine= three glasses of your beer! When ya got 10 or 15 gallons going strong, you know it'll last till the next batch.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
looneybomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baggins View Post

Beer IS bad....tasting. That's how I wait so long. My worst wine brew tastes better than your best beer brew, and it's more potent. One glass of my wine= three glasses of your beer! When ya got 10 or 15 gallons going strong, you know it'll last till the next batch.
The last beer I bottled finished around 10.5% (IPA) and my stout I bottled before that finished at 14.7%. The two Belgian quads I bottled before that clocked in at roughly 10 and 11%. You must brew some STRONG wine if it's triple what my beer is...

Back on track. I haven't brewed anything due to school and work. Thursday is my final (probability and statistics) and it's supposed to be 100. So Friday morning I plan on brewing a saisonIand then this mead. Wish me luck.
T_Baggins Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 300

well, ok, maybe not triple lol esp that stout! I average 14-16. Had 1 to 18. funny thing is, the 18 taste better than the rest! now I have a variety of yeast to mix n match on that same recipe. I've drank all my ready wine, 'cept for hat I bottled round th 3rd of this month. In a year that'll be a real testament to my technique... I hope. Nothing in primary now, it's been WAY to hot in my house till just the other day. Was like 95F in here! Got a new A/C yesterday and cold crashed this b!tch! nice at 70-73 and steady. perfect for the yeasties 'bout to start the pomegranate/blueberry.

Good luck with the mead! BTW, I posted some yeast selection info in mead forum... may help If you do'nt allready have the compleat meadmaker.

I just checked my rack, I do have a bottle that was born in march... it was really tasty straight from the secondary. Wanna hang out some time? Seeing how you are the closest neighbor so far. Also I DO have "The Compleat Meadmaker" if you wanna check it out.

Quick Reply