Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mold in my Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
tooomanycolors
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have that on top I would be concerned, thats a picture of my lambic mead, in which case it good to see. On a normal mead I would be saddened by its presence.

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yea it looks exactly like that. It's an infection I've been fighting on my beers ever since I moved into that crapass apartment, glad I'm moving soon.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
ZooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update since I first posted. I racked from well under the floating buttons to two one gallon containers. On the recommendation of my LHBS, I left little headroom and repitched with RED STAR MONTRACHET yeast and FERMAID K. The ensuing vigorous ferment glubbed up the airlocks (which I replaced with a clean-one 3 times) but insured a blanket of CO2. They're still going and no moldies detected.

One of the things I learned in the process are that yeast for Mead must have a nutrient cocktail from the start to get things 'rolling'.

I'm already planning my strategy for another batch next month.

Quick Reply