The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mike's basic sweet mead 09

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
thorson138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mike's basic sweet mead 09

I have put together the following ingredients

20lbs raw local honey
4gal water
1pck D47 yeast
1tsp energizer day 1
1tsp energizer day4
1tsp energizer day8

This gives me a batch size of right at 6 gallons.

I started this batch on 8-27-09. I mixed the honey with 3 of the gals of water, then added the 20lbs (roughly 2 gal) raw local wildflower honey and stirred until mixed very well. I then added energizer (1tsp) and D47 yeast and aerated vigorously for 10 minutes. I then added 1 more gallon of water to bring the batch up to about 6 gallons.

On 8-31-09 I opened up the fermenter and added another 1tsp energizer to the mead, stirred and briefly aerated the mead.

Fermentation has been moving along steady since day 2.

Again on 9-4-09 I removed lid from fermenter and added another 1tsp of energizer and stirred into the mead. I did not aerate this time.
Today I took first hydrometer reading and it showed a PABV of 13%. Taste from test sample is very sweet. SG at this time, if I'm reading right is 1.098. It is 1 mark under the 1.100. I know I wont get down to 1.000 but I'm hoping to get down to 1.030 or somewhere in that area. A little lower if possible. Tell me what you think it will go to.

9-5-09
Fermentation is moving along pretty well bubbling 5 or so times per minute. I think everything is moving along as it should be. Temp has been regulated betwween 70*-72*.

9-9-09
Fermentation is still moving along bubbling 3-4 times per minute. I took another hydrometer reading today an it shows a PABV of 11% and if I'm reading it right SG is 1.080. Does this seem like an adequate pace to be moving along? I would love to get down to 1.020 or even lower. Input? Advice? Should I aerate? More energizer?
The mead from test beaker is a little less sweet... Still very sweet, but is developing sort of an acidic taste (very slight). If that continues to develop it will round out the mead well I think. I do have some acid blend if I need to add some at the end. Comments? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you are OK to go ahead and just let it sit. It's hard to do, but I always let mine sit for 6 months to fully ferment and for all of the flavors to really congeal. Just set it and forget it, and you should be fine! (Just my 2¢. I'm sure you can get by with drinking sooner, but if you really want it to settle out clean and be sure it's finished, I'd wait if you could).

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5980 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I don't know if you'll get to 1.020 with that much honey.

Give it another couple weeks - check the gravity, and if you're not significantly lower than 1.080 check out hightests sticky on how to restart a stuck fermentation, and his staggered nutrient addition schedule

Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
thorson138
Recipes 

Thank you for your input and replies. I'll let it set for 2-3 more weeks or until the end of the month anyway. My previous batches this is exactly where I had some issues... Waiting and leaving it alone!! I just felt like I needed to DO something.hmhmhm. This time I vow it will be different! hmhmhm. I am going to give thisw batch all the time it needs period. I know it will be that much better in the end. I will re-assess at the end of the month. I will keep updates on the batch coming and if I start anything else I'll post it here for input and suggestions. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you need to do SOMETHING, start another batch! You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
thorson138
Recipes 

I like that natron! I do believe I'll take that advice!! hmhmhm... Just out of curiosity, is it moving at what would be considered a decent pace? today it shows 11% PABV. On the last reading I took on 9-4-09 it showed 13% PABV. So it moved a couple percent in 5 days. Is that normal with so much honey??? I think I'm gonna do a couple 1gal batches. Any tried and true recipe you would recomend? Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
dutchboy62
Recipes 

im kinda new at this but doesn't the energizer instructions call for 1 tsp per gal?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
thorson138
Recipes 

Some energizers do call for that amount. The energizer I have calls for 1tsp per 5 gal. I also have some energizer of another kind that states 1tsp per gal. Fermentation seems to be going well at this point. If it starts to decline I'll surely hit it with another tsp or 2.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
thorson138
Recipes 

Today, 9-14-09, I racked out of my primary into a glass carboy. I found a small crack in the rim and didn't want to risk any oxidation or maybe some kind of small insects getting in there... It has a rubber o-ring, so I think it still had a good seal, but I didn't want to take a chance. Anyway since I had pretty close to 6 gallons I filled it up to just about 2" from the top. Since I did that it has been bubbling once every couple seconds or so. I can also see bubbles (like carbonation) coming up through the mead.

How long can I leave the mead in this glass carboy before lees becomes a concern? I've heard people say not to leave it on the lees for more than 2 months. Is this true in your experience?? Thanks for any replies.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I see that your adding energizer, but I do not see DAP (Diammonium Phosphate), the potassium is needed by the yeast to adjust to the nutrient wasteland of just honey.
SNA does require additions at different stages of the yeast growth and gravity levels from the OG.

Without the OG, I would take a guess that along with out adding the DAP, you may have started the second and third additions too early.
Looks like your OG would have been around SG 1.116, Stage 2 should have been done around SG 1.107 which it may have been, Stage 2 should have been done at SG 1.058, but you did it at 1.098.

I use hightest's spreadsheet and have learned to trust it, I am doing a very dry mead and hit stage 2 in 1 day, and stage 3 in 3 days. Now I just have to wait, I'm thinking maybe a 4 days more and take a sample to see if it is time to go to secondary.

I have also learned that de-gassing helps in the early stages. I do it daily. I just sterilize a spoon, and stir it up. Not enough to really aerate it but just kick the C02 out.
You did not mention what the SG was when you racked. Racking out of primary too soon may slow down the fermentation by reducing the yeast population.
As for how long to leave it in the secondary. When you see a layer of lees that is larger than you index finger which since you racked early may be in around a month.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply