Melomel Mead - Blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
I have a gallon of unpasteurized honey and it turned into crystallized honey ofc...its been months, so hard!

So I used 2 1\2 cup for 3L gallon, added 1/8th tsp k-meta closed the lid and waited close to 24 hours.

1. Yeast at the bottom
2. Forgot to take sg
3. SO2 didn't get released
4. Brother didn't know that he should of crushed the blackberries, cut them in half.

Should I try crushing them inside the gallon or the flavors still come out but not as fast? oh and is this honey good?...maybe the yeast fell cause of the honey

Edit: Wow, last time I trust recipe guides without checking. 1.150

Love making mistakes, I learn from them. Never knew that yeast don't work at that reading.

Actually, the yeast is more likely still in lag phase because of the sulphites.

You dont need to do anything with the fruit. Yes it can mean theres a small difference in gravity not accounted for but the yeast will get in there anyway....

I would just keep it as it is, then just keep aerating it twice daily and keep taking measurements then once its fermenting ok, stop aerating once it gets to 1.100

What yeast did you use as it'll likely finish sweet......

And you don't mention nutrient/energiser etc either. Which you need as that gravity numbers has sugars for 20% plus. Most regular wine yeasts will only do 14 to 18% ABV.....

Its fermenting now, didn't think anyone would message today with hangovers. I gave it 12 hours (edit: wait did I...? XD) and pitched in new yeast. Hydrated this time, I took 1/4 in 80F and another 1/4 in 100F. Both got cloudy but most of the yeast fell down. Waited 15 min stayed the same, I got yeast from 2 different places so its not the yeast right? Never done it before maybe I'm just panaroid.

Anyways, I see new clumps of yeast. Most go to the top for some reason while half of re hydrated yeast is in the works. OG 1.100 before I added a cup of water. Another mistake I didn't encounter. Gotta stop drinking!

The yellowish above the white foam is yeast clumps

AND I JUST REALIZED, I made blueberry wine. I added the same amount of k-meta and its at 1.000 since I last checked on racking. Tasted so good, I mean wow! Fizzy like champagne, I wanted to bring that out as the champagne bottle. Hasn't been that long, less than 1 month. Gave a shot to 2 people and they loved it, I CANT WAIT TILL WHAT AGING DOES :eek:

20140101_211323.jpg

Back