Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #81
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewing it up right now! I'm using 17 lb of honey for a 5 gallon batch. I'll use half an ounce of each of the spices (quarter ounce of cloves). I'll do that in secondary. I found another translation below, looks like I'm using more honey than the traditional recipe, but I want something that will age well.

From what I surmize from the website, the below recipe is for 48 pints (6 gallons) and uses 6 pints of honey (9 lbs.)

Perhaps this recipe from Le Menagier de Paris, c. 1393, (Power's translation, 1928, pp. 293-4) will be of some use to you.

"BEVERAGES FOR THE SICK - BOCHET
To make six sesters of bochet take six pints of very soft honey and set it in a cauldron on the fire, and boil it and stir it for as long as it goes on rising and as long as you see it throwing up liquid in little bubbles which burst and in bursting give off a little blackish steam; and then move it, and put in seven sesters of water and boil them until it is reduced to six sesters, always stirring. And then put it in a tub to cool until it be just warm, and then run it through a sieve, and afterwards put it in a cask and add half a pint of leaven of beer, for it is this which makes it piquant (and if you put in leaven of bread, it is as good for the taste, but the colour will be duller), and cover it warmly and well when you prepare it. And if you would make it very good, add thereto an ounce of ginger, long pepper, grain of Paradise and cloves, as much of the one as of the other, save that there shall be less of the cloves, and put them in a linen bag and cast it therein. And when it hath been therein for two or three days, and the brochet tastes enough of the spices and is sufficiently piquant, take out the bag and squeeze it and put it in the other barrel that you are making. And thus this powder will serve you well two or three times over."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #82
rebeltruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love reading that old recipe....I'm going to do a 5 gallon batch with 12lbs of honey.

I'm going to have to cook the honey in 3 batches, 4lbs each batch. I have a couple 6g packs of Munton's Ale yeast will most likely use one of them for this 5 gallon batch, along with some nutrients.

Planning on bottling letting it go until I'm 65...

Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #83
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is the other one I found. Note that is says blackish. If you watch the first video you see the smoke get dark colored, but the guy keeps pushing for "black" smoke. I would end my boil at that point. Thanks for posting the other translation.

Now to obtain a large enough kettel for a 5-6 gallon batch....

Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #84
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I boiled for 6.5 hours (very low heat to prevent boilover). ~1.5 gallons of honey in a 7 gallon pot, still wanted to climb out and all over the stove.

After the boil I added in about a gallon of water, got it back to boiling, then added 3 gallons of fridge temp water to cool it down, used an auto-siphon to put it in the 6 gallon carboy. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet (I did pull a sample mid siphon.)

OG looks like 1.132

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Last edited by conpewter; 12-13-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #85
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Ah no, it burned because I had it over an open flame for 30 minutes, not because it's in a SS pot. Plus, this thing is called BURNT mead, it's supposed to burn! It could also be because I used a rather thin bottomed pot, rather than my nice sandwich layered bottomed pot instead.
Hey EvilTOJ: How big was your SS pot? I'm thinking about doing this with my cheapo 3.5 gallon (very thin) SS pot over an open fire. Is this a bad idea? I figure if I stir like crazy I can prevent it from charring to the bottom of the pot, but maybe this is wishful thinking on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Somehow the sage and rosemary flavors and aroma have morphed into a wintergreeny-minty flavor with a bit of resinous pine. It's very good. I was a bit worried it would taste too medicinal/culinary herby, but that's not the case at all. I'm seriously going to have to explore that herb combination in a gruit. This could seriously be the next big thing -- it's that good! I can already imagine it, sage and rosemary porter. Trust me, it's 100 times better than it sounds.
This sounds amazing. I think I'm going to do exactly this for my first attempt. Do you happen to remember how long you had your herbs in there before you pulled them out? I'm going to try a "handful" of each myself.

Last edited by scone; 12-14-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #86
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My SS pot was 5 gallons and thin and cheap as can be. I only used my thinner pot because I didn't want burnination on my 'good' 5 gallon SS pot. As long as you stir it and don't let the leavings cool in the pot I think you'll be alright.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #87
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just did a 5 gallon batch of this using 12 lbs of Suebee amber honey in my 7.5 gallon aluminium pot on medium heat. It took just over 3 and a half hours to get down to the described levels, and it had foamed up to the 5 gallon level on my pot. So roughly 1 gallon foamed up to 5 gallons.

I checked the temperature at this "burnt" level and it was 297F, just around 5 degrees short of the "hard crack" level of 302F. I realize now how important it is to get some water in there slowly, but if you let it get hard your in trouble.

One other very important note, I live on the 9th floor and I had a screen door closed going to the balcony, around an hour into the boil I noticed around 10 bee's trying to fly in. Checked the front of the unit and there were a number of bee's trying to fly in there also.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Rainyn Likes This 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #88
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1532 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 52727

Not to get off topic, but has anybody sampled a finished, aged product of this burnt mead yet? I am intrigued, but want to read a couple reviews of the finished product before embarking on the journey.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #89
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Is anyone concerned that the 1118 might take it too dry and the burnt flavor will dominate without enough sweetness to back it up? What other yeasts are you guys using? Notty was mentioned... I've never made a mead and I plan to start with this one.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #90
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Is anyone concerned that the 1118 might take it too dry and the burnt flavor will dominate without enough sweetness to back it up? What other yeasts are you guys using? Notty was mentioned... I've never made a mead and I plan to start with this one.
Using S-05 and Nottingham on mine (recipe called for "beer yeast") I only had one package of each so I pitched them both. It lagged for a couple days so I made a starter last night of wyeast 1028 (London Ale). Not sure if I'll pitch that now since fermentation has really pickedup. I figure if the recipe called for beer yeast... it may well have been a mixture of different strains anyway.

After fermentation is done I'll put in the Grains of paradise, Long pepper, ginger and clove for a few days.

Quick Reply