Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I think the nottingham will probably take it to 10-11% or so, depending on your oxygenization, nutrient and energizer schedule.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
travestyofnature
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Have you read the tasting notes by Charlie Papazan on the bochet mead he tried for the Beer Examiner?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here is my response from Johnny Max about his mead:

Quote:
Johnny Max - I am thinking it will smooth out in 100 years. LOL
It has a very strong roasted marshmallow flavor and it is black as tar.
I have not tasted it in a long time, I am waiting...

Last edited by nealf; 05-18-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: slight edits for apparent drunk spelling on Johnny's part

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #34
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OK, this I have got to try, I think I still have around 3lbs kiawe honey, now what other heavy and rich honey can I get without selling my first born, (still working on that BTW).

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #35
GuitarBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed this earlier today. I used ec-1118 (atleast I think thats what it's called), and I had an OG of about 1.090. I hope I picked the the right yeast, I'm thinking about adding more honey, but I'm not sure.

I noticed some floating things when I took my hydrometer sample does anyone have any idea what those could be. Maybe pieces of burnt honey.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #36
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBob View Post
Just brewed this earlier today. I used ec-1118 (atleast I think thats what it's called), and I had an OG of about 1.090. I hope I picked the the right yeast, I'm thinking about adding more honey, but I'm not sure.

I noticed some floating things when I took my hydrometer sample does anyone have any idea what those could be. Maybe pieces of burnt honey.
I had the same thing. You can see it in my gravity sample picture below. I'm not sure what they are either but assuming, like you, that they're either bit's of burnt honey or some protein in the honey that has clumped together and fallen out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Oh yeah, here's how it looks for the curious. A bunch of small particles formed at some point during the caramelization, any ideas what they are?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #37
GuitarBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's exactly what mine ended up looking like. I basically cooked it until it smelt like it was burning then paniced and started adding water.

By the way how much honey did you use? I got a much lower OG and I used 4 lbs per gallon.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used 4 lbs of clover honey. Final volume was slightly less than a gallon. Did you take the gravity while it was still hot?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #39
GuitarBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I used 4 lbs of clover honey. Final volume was slightly less than a gallon. Did you take the gravity while it was still hot?

I didn't measure the temperture with a thermometer but it felt cool to touch, so it had to be close to room temperture. I had a little bit of honey stuck to the sides of the pot that I wasn't able to dissolve into the water I added, I'm guessing that may have made a small difference. It's also possible that my final volume was slightly over a gallon.

Still even when considering all these factors a difference of almost 40 gravity points seems pretty high.

I did use wildflower honey (not the best choice for meads, but I figured since it was going to be burnt it wouldn't matter.) I wonder if the different type of honey made a difference.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #40
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm starting a batch of this as we speak. I'm starting out with 6 lbs of cheap CHEAP walmart honey. Although I've noticed something that wasn't mentioned in any instructions. You know what happens when you make a brochet mead outside? You get a ****ton of bees, that's what! It was not even boiling 5 minutes before a bee landed in it. mmmmm bee parts.....

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Lungus Likes This 

Quick Reply