Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #301
achnaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's great, thank you. I'm trying to imagine accurately working out 70% of of half a teaspoon though

I'd only ever done beer before starting the recent meads, and added nutrients were an unknown. Given where I started* (JAOM, like so many people, I think) a small handful of raisins feels a bit like a nutrient safety net :^)

* and I'm not claiming I've moved on very far!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #302
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It works better in larger numbers dealing with higher amounts of nutrients. But close to what I do is mix it all together, the nutrient and energizer & add 1 tsp up front and a 1/4 tsp every 24 hours. That is 66.666% up front and and 16.666% for the other two additions. Feel free to throw another small pinch of nutrient in up front to bring it closer the the proposed 70%+ mark.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #303
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
There are many other things you could do like add oak to the secondary. You could use raisins or other fruits in the primary if you liked. I have heard of apples being used well for this style. But a standard no fuss bochet is like the above recipe.
Do you recall how long you caramelized your honey? I like your recipe. Short and sweet. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #304
Arpolis
Recipes 

I caramelize on a slow heat on the lowest flame setting with my gas stove for about 2 hours. I also make sure to add some water and keep it from being devoid of it. Every 30 - 45 minutes you add about a half cup to full cup of water. That helps keep it from carbonizing and getting that smoky taste. Just pure caramel goodness.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #305
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
I caramelize on a slow heat on the lowest flame setting with my gas stove for about 2 hours. I also make sure to add some water and keep it from being devoid of it. Every 30 - 45 minutes you add about a half cup to full cup of water. That helps keep it from carbonizing and getting that smoky taste. Just pure caramel goodness.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #306
achnaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cold and wet weekend, decided it was time to start this off.

I burnt it black, but not quite until the smoke was black -- the wife and children were already making enough protestations with the kitchen full of the smell and white smoke, despite the extractor fan. Took about an hour and twenty minutes. It's a beautiful colour.

http://imgur.com/a/cBlSa#0

One litre of honey can easily expand to 8 litres, but can be kept down lower with lower heat and more stirring.

Topped up with bottled water, added the yeast nutrients and a rehydrated wine yeast. Will do the SNA suggested by Arpolis.

How long is recommended in primary? Then should I transfer to secondary, or straight to bottles then let it age?

Edit: just noticed I have the date wrong (+1 day) on my camera.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #307
Arpolis
Recipes 

Primary goes until there is noticeable sediment. Once you get a good 1/4" - 1/2" of sediment then rack off that into secondary. Let the fermentation finish and let it clear mostly. Rack again and then see if any more sediment drops. Repeat till no sediment drops any more. The primary is based on feel rather than time. It could be anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months. It depends on the brew and how it feels.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #308
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by achnaw View Post
How long is recommended in primary? Then should I transfer to secondary, or straight to bottles then let it age?.

I'm sitting on 5 gallons in primary right at about the 2 month mark and i STILL have airlock activity.

I would definately do a secondary for your bulk aging.

Hopefully this stuff mellows quikly, because i highly doubt i'll be able to wait a full year to drink this stuff.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #309
achnaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lots of racking. I only have (imperial) gallon demijohns.

If racking to secondary before primary fermentation has finished then the headspace may be ok? Perhaps I'll need to raid the children's marble collection after that, though.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #310
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I made one back in February, and I'm down to one 12oz and one 750ml, definitely going to make a second one soon. Such a beautiful black/red when all said and done.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Quick Reply